Thread: Can I use Philippine Driver's License during my visit?

Question Can I use Philippine Driver's License during my visit?

Dear folks. Finally, our recce trip this June 2013 are all set up.

I would like to ask for some advice from you guys. Is it possible for me to use my Driver's License (Philippines) in New Zealand?

I would like to rent a small car (Yaris is OK but I am not sure if I would fit in as I am 6ft tall.) so we can visit some places (with the help of GPS and a bit of courage) if possible.

Another thing is, if ever I am allowed to rent and drive a car, how and where should I park the car when we are in the hotel? Kindly enlighten me of the options and the estimated daily cost.

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Yes you can drive in New Zealand with a licence you have gained in your own country as long as it is in english or you have a translation . You can drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months before you need to get a NZ licence. The links will explain more. Pay particular note here in the 2nd link about translating your licence

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/resi...riving-nz.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/resi...anslators.html

Since your driving license is in English, you need not do anything more to rent a car in NZ. You are allowed to drive up to a max of 1 year on your driving license after which you need to convert it to a NZ license. More importantly, you need a credit card to rent a car. Most major car companies do not like to rent without a credit/debit card.

A yaris should be small but comfy enough for a 6-footer. But it is usually not a cheaper car to rent given that it is new. The older version here is called a vitz. For the rates you pay for a yaris, you are better off renting a sylphy, tiida or other similar types and then you'll get more legroom.

About parking, it depends. Some hotels have private car parks - if so, this will be mentioned on their website. Otherwise, you can ask them where they suggest - a public car park or parking on a street nearby, probably. Your car hire charge will include insurance, so don't be too worried about the car. But don't leave valuables inside it when it is unattended.

Thank you very much JandM, batgirl and Dave! I saw over the internet that some areas of interest does not have bus routes so I am considering to drive. 10 days would be definitely too short to explore public transport routes.

Will try to rent car and proceed with the snow-hunt then. Maybe Mt. Ruapehu? I think June would be winter season so it would be a good first-time for my kids (and myself!).

I was charged $20 per day for parking when I was staying in a hotel in Auckland CBD. I was told that is pretty standard.

My two favorite car rentals are gorentals and aceRentals. I can usually get good cars (ie. Toyota Corolla or Nissan Tilda) for between $29 - $35 per day (10 days rate). These are decent sized cars and very nice to drive. PM me for Promotional Codes which can get you 5-25% off the normal rates.

We used Apex, and were very happy with the service. There's a range of sizes of car available.

Hi kermitmd,

Goodluck to your journey. Btw, may i know what university you attended in the philippines?