Thread: Self Employment can be considred for SMC JSV??

Default Self Employment can be considred for SMC JSV??

Hi All,
    Anyone can tell me, if self employment can be considered for SMC after having 9 months of JSV. I am getting contracts from USA, for electronics designing, but the company doesn't have office in New Zealand, and don't intend to open one here at least not for now. I am currently living in Auckland. I will get getting paid here and paying the taxes here.

The contract is for 1.5 years with many project in pipe line. Would that work for skilled employment for my PR? I hope anyone has any experience like this?

I would really appreciate you response.

Farooq

Everything in the regulations talks about being employed, not self-employed. It's slightly possible that you might get yourself considered under the heading of contract work (second link below), but as the employer is not in NZ, I'm doubtful. As always, when in doubt, check with INZ.

If an immigration officer assesses that a principal applicant has not demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute but can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand the principal applicant will be eligible for the grant of a SMC job search work visa (subject to the requirements of WR5 being met) to enable them to realise their potential by obtaining an offer of skilled employment (see SM7) in New Zealand.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm

And see section b here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30549.htm

on the JSV you have take the job from New zealand employer