Hi Guys,

We are hoping to move to New Zealand when I have finished my Osteopathy Degree. Osteopathy is on the long term skills shortage list and from people I have spoken to in New Zealand, I will not have any trouble securing a job offer. My husband though has previous convictions and we are aware he will need a character waiver. On the immigration website it says you will not be granted a visa if you have been sentenced to 5 years or more. Does this mean in total or for individual sentencing? My husband was convicted once for cannabis offences and was sentenced to 3 years and served 1. He was then convicted again for cannabis and a firearm. He was sentenced to 4 years and served 2. The last offence was 15 years ago and he has been an upstanding member of the community since. We can provide character references from our local vicar and policeman. We are trying to get our financial affairs in order and are getting so excited but my husband is very apprehensive and he will be devastated if we are declined because of him. Is there any way we can apply for a character waiver before we start the visa application? What are his chances or getting a character waiver? It will be torture to have to apply for the visa and just hope.....Has anybody experience of a similar nature? Any advice gratefully received. Thank you in advance.