Thread: Hastings/Napier

Wink Hastings/Napier

Hastings/Napier

Hi

Are there any members out there from Hastings/Napier?

What is it like there?

Is there much work for tradesmen?

Any information would be good.

Many thanks

Hi Sue,

We are in Havelock North just outside Hastings, can't really help you on the work situation, but there is a site advertised in the local paper every week called Tradestaff.co nz maybe that will help. I can however give you a brief idea of Hawkes Bay, today was a beautiful sunny day 20degrees, we spent the afternoon watching the blossom parade, there always seems to be something goin on, but then i think its the same for most of nz.
    There are lots of winerys to visit, Napier has its own beach, which i personally am not too keen on, but 15-20mins away you have ocean beach and waimarama, which are both lovely sandy beaches.
    Another place to look off course is hastingscity.co.nz, hope this helps a little.
    Are you thinking of moving to HB?
    Moira

Branch Phone Fax
    Central North Island
    Central North Island

Postal Address:

People: David Downey 021 379 268 Central North Island BS Manager
    Sara Kerr 021 634 480 Central North Island Regional Manager

Phone:
    Email Address:

Hawkes Bay 06-834 4650 06-833 7320
    Hawkes Bay

Postal Address: 104 Station Street
    P.O Box 988
    Napier

People: David Lane 021 708 349 Team Leader
    Tracy Baxter 021 708 240

Phone: 06-834 4650
    Email Address: hb@tradestaff.co.nz

MOira,

You have a teenage daughter - how does she like NZ ? My eldest two are a boy of nearly 14 and a girl of nearly 15 (b/days in Oct) - would be great to get them some info. Daughter isn't 100% keen (will miss shopping a lot) but son is very keen,

Tracey

Napier has some nice trendy shops!

Quote Originally Posted by tee and dee
    MOira,

You have a teenage daughter - how does she like NZ ? My eldest two are a boy of nearly 14 and a girl of nearly 15 (b/days in Oct) - would be great to get them some info. Daughter isn't 100% keen (will miss shopping a lot) but son is very keen,

Tracey
    Hi Tracey,
    My daughter is also 14 will be 15 in jan, not the easiest age to uproot and start again, she was never very keen on the idea, didn't want to leave her friends and familiar surroundings. We have been in NZ for 11months now, and if someone gave her a ticket to go back, she would snatch it with both hands.
    It has been hard for her, (a lot of it her own making) it isn't easy as a teenager to make new friends, she has always been very sociable, never had problems making friends before, and we have moved from holland to england and back to holland, maybe this move was one too many or maybe its just normal teenagers behaviour who knows? one minute she's up, and it's been the best day ever, the next she is down, telling me as soon as she is old enough, she's out of here.
    She was never a big shopper, so she doesn't miss that too much, thats my department, i really miss the big stores, yes Napier has a nice shopping centre, lots of little boutique's, some really nice ones, i think farmers is probably the biggest store there, but choice imo is very limited.
    Now one thing my daughter has found in NZ, and absolutely loves is horseriding, she had never even looked at a horse before, now she has rideing lessons every week, only thing is now she wants her own horse.
    Moira

HI Moira,

Thanks for the info. My daughter is already saying she'll be back as soon as she's old enough - but there seems hope. I like the sound of Napier - I can see us now foraging in the litlte boutiques and of course there's always Ebay ! She used to go horse-riding from age 5 until about 7 and so did I so there's another thing we coulde enjoy together !! I am hopeful,

Tracey

Talking kids

funny thing kids - mine are looking forward to it (the boys 17&15) but then they have just finished school realised theres nothing here for them, and they are agreeable to the move to NZ but a few years ago it was another story! (should have ignored them and gone anyway)

the only bad side is my daughter will be staying here (hopefully for only 3-5yrs) and I will miss her like loosing a body part, I won't be complete till she, her husband and my soon to be born granchild are there. but I try to look forward and not think of it as we only get on shot at this.
    But the horses thing - (rachel my daughter has ridden since she was 2) best thing for girls who are feeling lonely, there always there for you! (I will miss Rachels old horse PJ who I ride whenever I can) but I am gona get myself a horse ASAP when I get to NZ!

PS are Equestrian clothing etc pricey in NZ? My daughter has a feed and tack shop, so I was thinking of kitting myself out in new togs for the trip! (discounted of course )

We have just moved to Havelock North and have been here 2 weeks. So far it has been very good and I really feel we will love it here.

I have three boys 15, 12 and 5. The oldest and the youngest thing it is great, but the middle one cried all the way here and asks me about 15 times a day if he can go back to the UK. Our stuff arrives tomorrow so I hope that helps, I have also been doing a bit of paw buttering like you do for cats. They have all had a week at school and seem to really like it.

I am not sure about jobs, as my husband is a dentist so not really the same thing. But we needed a plumber about a week ago and they were really backed up with work and only arrived today. Seemingly all trades men in the area have tons of work at the moment.

Nicola