Thread: Only 1 year for partnership based work visa. Is it normally that short?

Default Only 1 year for partnership based work visa. Is it normally that short?

Helloooo guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys encounter this.

I'm a main applicant for temporary work visa under Essential skills. I've managed to secure a 4 years visa.
    However my fiancee who applied under Partnership-based Temporary Visa (family stream), was allocated only 1 year visa.

1)Is it normal to be given such a short duration? According to INZ,
    "If your partner holds a work visa for more than six months we may grant you a work visa for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand. "
    I'm puzzled if thats the normal and is there any grounds for us to appeal?

2)Now that my fiancee only has 1 year visa, I believed she's not entitled to public health care benefits except for maternity services. Are there any private health care insurance options that would be suitable? I checked southerncross and apparently they only insure those with 2 years or more work visa.

Thanks!

I've not heard of this happening before, but I see a weasel-word, 'may', in there - we may grant you a work visa - so I suspect that a protest would run up against that. In your place, I would definitely ENQUIRE why the shorter time was chosen, though.

Regarding the private health insurance- we first came on a one year visa and got privately insured with Southern Cross, so I'd think it is definitively worth enquiring.
    Could the length of the visa for your partner have anything to do with your living arrangements, eg the documentation you provided about your partnership?

How long have you and your partner been living together?

We have been living together for for 14 months. The immigration officer didn't request for additional documents of proof of relationship so I'm not exactly why she was granted only 1 year.