Thread: permanent resident terminology

Default permanent resident terminology

In many NZ legal documents, I see the term permanent resident, which I need to be to get some benefits. For example, on my platinum credit card, it says that to enjoy the benefits of the travel insurance I need to be a citizen or permanent resident.

I have a Resident visa; am I a permanent resident? As I understand from the INZ website, a resident visa allows a person to live indefinitely in NZ, however, there are some travel restrictions. These travel restrictions are removed for people holding the PR visa. I am sometime away from getting the PR visa.

So, am I a permanent resident of NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by jamboree787 View Post
    No.

To become permanent resident , you have to fulfill condition such as every year out of 2years , you should be in New Zealand for 182 days.
    example:- 182 in year 2011 and 182 days in 2012 , so u can apply for PR from Resident Visa.

jamboree 787, some of the confusion comes because the first visa people were granted under SMC USED TO BE called permanent residence - things changed from November, 2010 http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm, but some NZ official websites have never updated their wording.

You need to look at the date on whatever literature you have, to get an idea of whether they mean it applies to a nowadays Resident.

We are in the same position.
    My understanding is that you now have the same rights as any other resident BUT if you don't fulfill the 2 yr residence conditions you may not be allowed to return if you leave NZ unless you have then applied for a Returning Residents Visa (or a waiver of travel conditions)
    We have been here 7 months (Parent Category) and successfully applied for Gold Cards (includes free bus travel) which are only given to residents. We could also now exchange our UK State Pensions for NZ pensions.
    Last edited by babscat; 13th April 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Hi everyone
    Just to add something that I have tried to get fixed (but not yet succeeded), many NZ universities and other tertiary providers say that in order to be a Domestic student you need to be a permanent resident - for the exact same reasons that have been mentioned in other replies. This is not correct. These days, if you have a Resident Visa you are entitled to be a domestic student i.e. pay domestic fees - but you can't get a Student Loan for two years after you become "ordinarily resident" in NZ. Hope this helps someone out there! Karen

Karen,

Thats useful as after my rearrange plans to delay going by 2 years and my son aiming to go to Victoria University I wasn't aware of this so very useful indeed.

Thank you.

Regards Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jamboree787 View Post
    In many NZ legal documents, I see the term permanent resident, which I need to be to get some benefits. For example, on my platinum credit card, it says that to enjoy the benefits of the travel insurance I need to be a citizen or permanent resident.

I have a Resident visa; am I a permanent resident? As I understand from the INZ website, a resident visa allows a person to live indefinitely in NZ, however, there are some travel restrictions. These travel restrictions are removed for people holding the PR visa. I am sometime away from getting the PR visa.

To change your status from RV to PR you should fullfil the below requirment from INZ service manual
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30505.htm