Thread: INZ accepted application - but returned some documents?

Default INZ accepted application - but returned some documents?

INZ finally accepted my partner residence application, and told me they'd assign a CO within 3-6 months.. but they returned lots of my documents to me? Not all of them, but a significant amount - mail in joint names, joint account statements, joint utility bills, joint car registration, etc. They did keep some, such as our photos, witness letters, tenancy docs. But I believe the former is pertinent as well?

Has anyone had anything like that happen to them? Why would they return those without letting the CO see them to assess all of the evidence provided? Should I ask them?

It happened to us too, some of the original documents were returned within first few months of submitting the ITA and then our CO conducted her set of verification before returning the 2nd installment.

Of course you can ask, if it's worrying you.

None of us knows what is happening inside the INZ office. I'm guessing that there could be two explanations on the good side of what has happened here. Either somebody has gone down a checklist of possible evidence, and has ticked the presence of certain pieces, which therefore they don't need any more as they will go by the fact that the list shows they've already been seen. Or (even better) maybe you've already got a CO, and s/he's the one who has returned the paperwork. (Not all COs announce themselves, but just get on with working the case.)

Or there's the less good possible explanation, which would be that someone made a mistake and will be asking for your papers back... But don't worry - even that wouldn't be the end of the world.

I assume they scan all the documents and keep a image database. So if they scanned your documents, they already have a copy with them. They probably kept the documents that the CO would like to see physically.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably call them to confirm on Monday, but it's definitely reassuring.