Thread: Delay taking up PR by 2 years!

Default Delay taking up PR by 2 years!

Hi Everyone,

Just recently came back from a planning visit, and the bottom line is that I am going to have to delay going by 2 years due to my son who has special needs (mild aspergers) having to take 2 trains to get to college in Petone and doubts over his entry to the college, led me to make this decision. Quite gutted as my future employers are lovely people, met old friends from 12 years ago etc....so felt it was right to go but after bringing my son up singlehandedly over the last 5 years and in a good place in life so to speak I didnt want to risk things. Additionally I had a really good chat with Victoria University who confirmed that him doing his Btec Software Development in UK would gain him entry there and I'm quite reassured that in 2 years time my employers gave me good signals that there is a place for me.

Question: I suspect in the next few weeks I am going to get the ok from NZIS regarding PR, so given my recent visit what might be my options if not moving for 2 years other than start all over again closer to then.

What I did learn in the week that I was there was where I do want to live, which is Churton park area, which along with Camborne seemed to have similar housing to that most of us know, but the education for my son was fundamental.

Appreciate your thoughts and apologies if I've gone on but its been a bit of a rollar coaster but feel this is the right choice, despite having an offer on my house.

Regards Pete

If you get Approved in Principle, you have six months in which to send back your passports to get the visas (blue stickers) put in.

From the date on the visa, you have 12 months before you MUST activate your visas (by arriving in NZ and presenting your passports at Immigration at the airport upon arrival), or see them lapse. (Note: if leaving things as long as possible to spin in out, remember when booking your flights to allow some time for possible travel delays, as the date on the visa is CRUCIAL.)

When once you have activated your visas, there is nothing to stop you leaving NZ again, to do whatever you still need to back in your original home country. Residence visas come with two years' travel conditions, which allow you to come and go from NZ at will, so you can easily take the remaining six months of the two years' delay you want, before arriving in NZ to stay and take up your new life.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you get Approved in Principle, you have six months in which to send back your passports to get the visas (blue stickers) put in.

From the date on the visa, you have 12 months before you MUST activate your visas (by arriving in NZ and presenting your passports at Immigration at the airport upon arrival), or see them lapse. (Note: if leaving things as long as possible to spin in out, remember when booking your flights to allow some time for possible travel delays, as the date on the visa is CRUCIAL.)

When once you have activated your visas, there is nothing to stop you leaving NZ again, to do whatever you still need to back in your original home country. Residence visas come with two years' travel conditions, which allow you to come and go from NZ at will, so you can easily take the remaining six months of the two years' delay you want, before arriving in NZ to stay and take up your new life.
    Excellent, I did engage a advisor so will get my money's worth when I next speak to him, but this gives me a little more hope as I had a job to go to in Welly with other offers as well. I was taken aback when looking at places and the quality of housing which is why Churton Park and Camborne caught my eye. The nicest thing I do remember though was the pleasantness of people either the NZ aircrew or people in general.

Thank you again.

Regards Pete