Thread: House sold - Overwhelmed

Default House sold - Overwhelmed

Hi,

For the past few years my partner and I have been planning and researching a move to New Zealand.
    This week we accepted an offer on our house, looking to complete in 8 weeks so now it looks like the move is definitely on!

In the meantime we have been searching and applying for jobs (my partner in IT consultancy and myself in marketing) We have had a good response but most agencies want to talk when the house is sold and we have a date of flying out etc.

So, Im suddenly a little overwhelmed by it all.

I think we need to decide whether to throw caution to the wind and quit our good UK jobs (40K and 28K salaries) and go out on a WHV in the hope of securing work (hopefully permanent work to process a visa) or to stay in the UK with family for a few months and plug away at securing job offers and visas for a while? At least this way if we did get a job offer we just have 4 weeks notice to work, rather than waiting on a house sale etc.

Any thoughts or experience would be welcomed.

Hi
    Congratulations on selling the house. I have to say that the chances of getting a job if you are actually in NZ are a lot higher. I don't know the details of your skills and qualifications but you sound like you should be okay. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are to take a chance and just go for it. Good luck, whichever decision you make. Where do you hope to settle? I have good contacts in the Tauranga area in IT. Let me know if you want some names. Regards. Karen

If you have enough capital to survive for a few months when you land just go for it!! We went through house sale and move in 6 weeks.....market was a little slow on arrival but was working just over two months after arriving. Used time for some CPD, holiday etc. and to settle the kids.

Of course that way is not for everyone, but it worked for us!