Thread: Tax deductible relocation costs

Question Tax deductible relocation costs

Hi
    Can anyone help with this
    Found a link to a NZ tax determination that seems to include relocation costs and expenses for immigration that are a tax deductible expense
    This is determination DET 09/04
    Found it in google search on 'are moving expenses tax deductible'
    It seems to cover all we have paid to come over here inc medicals, immigration costs, pet transport etc but not sure as I don't understand tax
    Maybe somebody knows

Francis

I think that this covers the case where an employee is reimbursed by an employer for those expenses. This reimbursement is exempt income and should not be taxed. For the employer these expenses are deductible in calculating their net income for the year....not the employee as they have already received the income free of any tax deduction. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks
    Reread it
    Getting excited for no reason

I have a little different situation. My company paid me a lump sum amount for my relocation back to US and I paid NZ tax on it. I work for the same company now that I was working for in NZ. My online IRD account shows the lump sum as "income" and shows the tax that I paid on it (~33%). Because I paid tax on items/services that are considered tax exempt from DET 09/04 am I able to recover some of that tax I "overpaid" to the IRD? Thanks!

The tax you paid is based on the taxable income you received. I assume your employer paid you an additional allowance rather than reimburse the costs of your relocation.
    As the payment was not reimbursement of actual expenditure, it may fall outside the scope of Determination 09/04.

Possibly if your employer structured the payment differently, it may have qualified as tax free.

Hi,
    I have been looking in the same area for tax back on my relocation costs, but wasn't sure if it applied to me. I have just completed my studies in Nelson, NZ and have now gained employment with the Wellington City Council and thus am moving there. I have general costs of the ferry for me and my car and petrol etc, just general costs. I was told I could get my tax refunded for those relocation costs. Any assistance on how I go about this? It's all a bit confusing.

Thanks!