Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-institutional qualifications

Default Non-institutional qualifications

Hi folks,

I've got the below question in with the NZQA but thought I'd ask here as well while I wait for a response.

I'm looking to get my qualification recognized for me EOI but all my qualifications are work experience derived. At first I thought I was SOL but upon looking at the ANZSCO site there is the interesting note attached to my career.
    "Indicative Skill Level:
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:

AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

In New Zealand:
    NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification."

The key part being the 3 years of experience in lieu of formal qualifications. I have nearly 15 years of experience. Will NZQA accept this? I need the points!

Steve

Hi. So did you actually get qualifications through your experience? If so, how would you rate the level of your qualifications in comparison with a degree e.g. = 1st year, 2nd year equivalent? A NZ Diploma is either first or second year degree equivalent. Does that help? Karen

Hi Karen,

There in lies the issue. There is no industry wide governing body for what I do. There is no way to be officially "qualified". I have the skills and letters from employers dictating that my experience does in fact match the job though. Will NZQA look at these instead?

Hi. What is your skill area? Karen

I'm a structural steel detailer. I take engineers and architects drawings and create fabrication drawings go a shop to make the steel skeleton of buildings. I also do steel handrails, stairs and misc metals as well. In Canada here we are also in charge of making sure the connections for the steel structures meet the loading requirements (a full fledged engineer still stamps our designs). It's a bit of a hybrid profession that is as much a trade as professional. But neither sector really have a say in what we do.

When I moved to Aus I never had an issue with no having an "official" qualification. NZ has a different system of recognition though.

I will ask around. I have a few contacts who might know. Sounds like you could make a very useful contribution in Christchurch. Cheers. Karen

...another question. Is there a specific skill codes on the ANZSCO that is most like what you do? Cheers. Karen

312199 is the ANZSCO code for my job. Because its an "NEC" code the list a couple example jobs and mine is one if them.

Hi. I asked a few questions of INZ (no names mentioned). If you are applying for residence under SMC, because you don't have a qualification as such, you will almost certainly need a job offer. I can't see any way you can get up to 140 points without this. That's because you can't get any points for qualifications. If you have a job offer then you don't need to go to NZQA. If your EOI is selected with a job offer, INZ will check that your work experience matches the ANZSCO requirements - so lots of detailed job descriptions etc. and anything that helps them match what you have done to what you would do in the job offered. If you have above 100 points with a job offer and no health or character issues, are under 55, then you should be fine. This probably doesn't seem very fair when it sounds like you are "qualified" for the occupation you have, but I think it is better to know these things. Let me know if you have more questions. Karen

Thanks Karen, sort of what I figured INZ would view it. I'm still holding out hope that NZQA will look at the experience and rule I have the qualifications. As long as NZQA feel I have the qualifications I think INZ will let it pass...... I hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast