Thread: what happens to my NZ permenent residency visa when I become citizen of another country

Default what happens to my NZ permenent residency visa when I become citizen of another country

Hi everyone, I got a bit of an unusual situation here.
    I currently hold a Chinese passport.

I got my resident visa in Feb 2011 and I got my permanent resident in Feb 2013. I am looking receiving my
    legal resident visa for USA and start living in USA sometime in 2016.

I might become an USA citizen in 2019. I am just wondering if I become an USA citizen and give up my Chinese passport, will I still be able to keep my NZ permanent resident visa?

Thanks a lot

Your permanent residence status can remain valid if you apply to NZ Immigration to transfer your 'blue sticker' to your new American passport.

My understanding is once you become a US Citizen, you renounce your Chinese citizenship and therefore your Chinese passport is no longer a valid travel document.

My OH and I are US citizens but British by birth. We travel on both passports and also have NZ residency in our passports. We have had no issues.

You ARE a permanent resident, and nothing changes that, but you can't travel making use of the status unless you have the sticker in a valid passport. So, as eternalkiwi says, if you get the visa transferred, you'll be fine.