Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickest way to get PR?

Default Quickest way to get PR?

Hi
    I have a perm job offer in Wellington and will most probably go for the Accredited Employer work visa.
    Once I arrive in NZ, I want to apply for Permanent Residency. My Points Indicator for the EOI, is 160.
    What would be the quickest way to get PR?
    Thanks
    Vaughan

Your EOI will be selected immediately with that many points and a job. Be prepared for INZ not to hurry with processing your case, maybe not until your work visa is nearing its end - it seems to happen that they don't rush when someone is legally working in the country already. When once you have Residence, you will be able to apply for PR a minimum of two years after that. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your EOI will be selected immediately with that many points and a job. Be prepared for INZ not to hurry with processing your case, maybe not until your work visa is nearing its end - it seems to happen that they don't rush when someone is legally working in the country already. When once you have Residence, you will be able to apply for PR a minimum of two years after that. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
    What if i have a temporary work visa but I'm NOT yet in NZ and I've applied my EOI which just got selected(We applied for EOI 2 weeks after we got our temporary work visa). Does it still stand true to your statement of "INZ not to hurry with processing your case...it seems to happen that they don't rush when someone is legally working in the country already."?
    Last edited by nex; 18th April 2013 at 03:39 AM.

You'll be moving to NZ to start your job as a matter of priority, obviously. When you let INZ know your new address, your application under SMC will be transferred to an INZ office in NZ, and what I said above may apply to you, too.

What often happens is that when an applicant writes to INZ and tells them, 'My work visa is due to run out in about eight weeks. Am I likely to get my Residence through in time, or do I need to renew the work visa?' the Residence quickly appears.

Thx for the info. I'm given >4 years of work visa. I hope i dont have to wait so long.

You'll be moving to NZ to start your job as a matter of priority, obviously. When you let INZ know your new address, your application under SMC will be transferred to an INZ office in NZ, and what I said above may apply to you, too.

What often happens is that when an applicant writes to INZ and tells them, 'My work visa is due to run out in about eight weeks. Am I likely to get my Residence through in time, or do I need to renew the work visa?' the Residence quickly appears.

If you have all your papers in order it comes pretty quickly. I had a problem in that I didn't have a birth certificate hence it got delayed. Having a job and applying for a PR usually makes a big difference both in terms of points and the need not to job hunt. They also respond positively if you can highlight you need it earlier for a specific reason, for example to start another job.

The main advice is not to worry too much but keep communicating with INZ.

It may well not take ALL THAT time. Just, what you have to know is that people with work visas already in place give way in priority to others.

I have heard that you are not allowed to go out of New Zealand before you get PR, or the process starts again from scratch. If that is the case and let's say my visa is valid for 4 years and PR takes another year, does it mean that I won't be able to go and visit my family overseas, or go on overseas holidays for 5 years, as it will affect the process?

This isn't true. If you hear rumours, it's always best to check with the INZ website, where there is a lot of information set out, even before you could expect an answer to a question asked on here.

Work visas have multiple entry permission - or if yours doesn't in the first place, you can get this added on. That means you can come and go from NZ. Obviously, since the work visa is linked to your job, you won't be taking hugely long holidays out of the country, because of holiday allowance.

Then, when you get Residence, you have two years' travel conditions with it, which allow you to come and go freely from NZ in the same way as a born NZer. The first time you can apply for PR is when you have had Residence for two years, and here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm are the requirements for getting PR (having demonstrated commitment to NZ). The top paragraph is obligatory, then you have to fulfil ONE of the conditions lower down the page, with most people choosing the 'time in NZ' one, the first one. As you will see, the time requirement is half your time in NZ in each of the two years - this allows you plenty of time for holidays and visits. Well, for any normal working person!

This isn't true. If you hear rumours, it's always best to check with the INZ website, where there is a lot of information set out, even before you could expect an answer to a question asked on here.

Work visas have multiple entry permission - or if yours doesn't in the first place, you can get this added on. That means you can come and go from NZ. Obviously, since the work visa is linked to your job, you won't be taking hugely long holidays out of the country, because of holiday allowance.

Then, when you get Residence, you have two years' travel conditions with it, which allow you to come and go freely from NZ in the same way as a born NZer. The first time you can apply for PR is when you have had Residence for two years, and here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm are the requirements for getting PR (having demonstrated commitment to NZ). The top paragraph is obligatory, then you have to fulfil ONE of the conditions lower down the page, with most people choosing the 'time in NZ' one, the first one. As you will see, the time requirement is half your time in NZ in each of the two years - this allows you plenty of time for holidays and visits. Well, for any normal working person!
    This "half your time in NZ in each of the two years" applicable to principle applicant only or to all family members too ?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast