Thread: Residence to Permanent Residence

Default Residence to Permanent Residence

Are there any reasons why Residence would not be converted to Permanent Residence on application at the allowed time? I ask because I may need an operation in the near future (for a condition fully disclosed on my medical) but someone suggested I wait until I have permanent residence, in case it would go against me in my application.

Hubby is in a permanent, skilled job, we have bought a house and we are not planning on being out of the country for more than a couple of weeks in the 2 qualifying years so I think we fulfill all the conditions of Permanent Residence.

Any thoughts?

There's no medical or other check to be passed in order to get PR. THE ONLY criteria are those of establishing commitment to NZ, as mentioned on the web page. If you're doing the first one, of length of time in each of the two preceding years spent in the country, they only look at your comings and goings, all logged on the Immigration system and in your passport.

No reason to delay...you live here and are entitled to treatment. It is showing commitment which matters as JandM has said.

Thanks folks. That's a bit of a relief