Thread: Reflections on three months

Default Reflections on three months

Yesterday we celebrated the milestone of three months in NZ, well perhaps I am exaggerating when I say celebrated but we did acknowledge it. It seems like such a long time ago when we pulled up to the motel in the pouring rain with two sleepy children and so much has happened. We are now in our house (rented but we plan to stay here a while) with our own furniture and bits and pieces, starting to feel very settled. School breaks up tomorrow for a two week term break and I think we are all looking forward to a rest (though have lots of fun stuff planned).

Some good things:

I have found making friends easier than I thought and have found people that I can be myself with and am enjoying getting to know lots of new people both face to face and through Twitter

The kids have settled really well and My little girl is doing well at school, both seem more adventurous out here (but that may be because we are spending more time outside)

I have found a fantastic child minder for my 2 year old and have started thinking about going back to work, something I thought I wouldn't be able to do for a long time, plus I feel that the friends we have made would help us out in an emergency

We are spending more time together as a family, going to the beach after tea, out for meals at the weekend etc

Good wine and good quality food when we eat out, hubby says the beer isn't too bad either!

Getting sorted in the house and starting to bake again

Being able to hear the sea when I wake up in the morning and being able to pop down to the beach easily

Planning lots of trips away - to the ski slopes in the winter and further afield when people come to stay

Some not so good things:

Staying in touch and connected to people is hard. I know it is a lot easier what with Skype, email, Facebook, than it used to be in the past but feels fragmented and tricky to have proper conversations. Plus the time difference now means only a small window at the weekends to talk to family and friends who have young children

Missing family and friends from the UK and it is hard thinking that won't see friends for a good couple of years. While family will be coming out to visit I do feel guilty that they are missing out on spending time with the kids, especially as Lucas is talking now

Not being there for my sister as she prepares to have baby number 3

Lack of central heating in the house

Getting used to budgeting without a 'savings' safety net and knowing that we will have to save to be able to go back to the UK regularly

So far I have no regrets about the move and think we have done the right thing for us, I know we will have some tough times as well as great times but it is definitely one way to get us out of the rut!

Congrats on 3 months, sounds great, where did you end up living in the end?

Thanks for this update.

Thanx for your updates and sharing experience. Congrats on your 3 months wish you the best in your life out there.

Thank you for good wishes, we ended up in Raumati Beach which is perfect for the kids, good school, beach, park etc, good community of mums for me and husband doesn't mind the commute after years of commuting to London from the Midlands

Nice update. Congrats

Great update! Glad you are settling in nicely. CHeers.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that on the whole things are going well