Thread: Free Education For Residence Vs Permanent Residence ?.

Default Free Education For Residence Vs Permanent Residence ?.

Good day,

I read in NZ Ministry of Education website that free education is provided to New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents in state schools between the ages of five and 19. How about those who have obtained "Resdence Visa" recently and have to wait for atleast 2 more years to convert their Residence visa to "Permanant Residence" visa ?.

Thanks.

Hi. There are errors in the terminology here (theirs not yours!) that I have pointed out to various people before. As a NZ resident you and your children are entitled to be domestic students in NZ. However, you are not entitled to a student loan for tertiary education until you have been in NZ for 2 years. I might try and escalate this concern on an official level. Hope that puts your mind at est. Karen

The names of visas changed as from November of 2010, and the first visa from the Skilled Migrant Category, which USED TO BE called PR, came to be called Residence, only a whole lot of official websites haven't yet caught up with the change and altered their information to match.

Children with Residence ARE entitled to attend school.

Thanks Karen and JandM.
    So Residence children too can enjoy free education... Thanks for the information
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 19th April 2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Merged 2 identical threads together