Thread: SMC EOI Application vs Job Offer

Default SMC EOI Application vs Job Offer

Good Morning

There is a step I don't understand when it comes to creating an online Expression Of Interest under the Skilled Migrant Category scheme.
    The Points tables provided is pretty straightforward, and depending on how much you score at the end, different options exist. In an ideal scenario, it would be great to exceed 130 points in order to automatically get selected.

I see that getting a job offer will give you 50 points (and many a bit more if working outside Auckland City), which is a very significant contribution in achieving a good score.

Right now, I am just about to start job-hunting under a visitor visa (can someone please confirm that it is acceptable to do that by the way?), the question is: can you start your online EOI on the provision that you will eventually get a job offer? Just trying to reduce the time before being legally allowed to work, as the employer may not find attractive the fact that you are not operational a.s.a.p... if this makes sense

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

When your Expression of Interest (EOI) is selected, we will check the information in it. We may ask you to supply evidence of some of your claims at this point.

If your EOI passes these checks, we will send you an invitation to apply for residence. You then have four months in which to collect your documentation and get your application for residence in.

This is extracted from the NZ Immigration website. Would it be acceptable to start lodging an EOI today, claiming the 50 points for job offer? (Although I do not have an offer as of today, it will most likely be the case within 4 months)

TTFN

You can lodge the EOI today but you can only claim the 50 points for a job offer if you actually have one.

If your EOI is selected which it would be at the next draw, they will check the information straight away and find that you don't actually have a job offer and you will loose the points and your EOI will just go back into the pool. But worse could occur, to be granted you must be of good character and any lies or omissions on your application are considered as to not be of good character and thus your residence application could be rejected.

Ian

Many thanks for your helpful input Ian.

Sorry to hear that it is not advisable to anticipate too much, in an effort to reduce processing times.
    Personal experience is that it's hard enough to find a job, get a confirmation letter and then expect the employer to wait until you get the 'cleared to work' from immigration....which could take months since a pre-assessment isn't an available option

Employers who make job offers to foreigners are often very understanding about timing. Also, you can put in for a work visa at the same time as applying for Residence - work visas can be processed much more quickly, allowing for an earlier start to the employment (and the Residence application ticks along taking the time it takes while you're already working).

There may be another possibility, depending on your age and where you are from. If you get a WHV or BUNAC IEP visa, these are open work visas allowing you to start work immediately at any job offered. (To meet the requirements, the employer needs to take you on as a 'temporary' worker in the first place, while offering you a permanent contract which will qualify you to apply for a work visa or Residence.)

Fair point, JandM!

Sadly, having already used up the WHV route in the past, and being ineligible under the BUNAC IEP scheme, options have become quite limited.

It would be ideal to approach prospective kiwi employers without having to 'ask for a favour' (ie, sponsorship) since the procedure is probably much easier for them when they hire New Zealanders.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot apply as an individual for a work visa, other than via an EOI? which means that you've got to wait until the job letter is written.

How soon can a temporary work visa be obtained by the way? Thank you

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot apply as an individual for a work visa, other than via an EOI? which means that you've got to wait until the job letter is written.
    I know what you mean, but I'll say it another way for the sake of others who may read the thread later - you always apply as an individual, but putting in an EOI to apply for Residence is the only way you can go for a visa without having a job offer in hand. This is because the requirements for work visas include the skilled job offer.

You will find information about processing times on the website for each of the INZ offices - here's the one for Auckland area, for example. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/ Of course, these are all based on their best guess based on recent averages, which is all they can do considering the variation in people's circumstances, and the fact that they can't tell in advance how the work load will vary.

Another thought. If, when considering your EOI, you have 100 points at least, you could put it in at once as soon as you have your evidence gathered. Although there's no chance it will be selected if only has a low number, at least you would have got the formalities done as far as you could. As soon as you have a job offer, you let INZ know, and your EOI will be immediately selected and prioritized, and the same evidence will do for a work visa application. And you would be able to tell employers you have applied for a visa. (Of course, if you haven't got 100 points without a job offer, this wouldn't help.)

I like your thinking, cheers!