Thread: IO Assigned but wanted to quit job on current country

Default IO Assigned but wanted to quit job on current country

Hi Everyone,

Someone might be able to enlighten us here.
    We already have an Immigration Officer assigned last April 12 and Initial Assessment is done. We already submitted one document that she requested for but she never acknowledge yet if she received it. Well, that is not the real problem here because we can still wait.
    The dilemma now is that we wanted to go home to Philippines because we feel we can't take anymore the unhappiness that we feel here in Singapore. As we never know yet if we will get a job right-away at Philippines, we are worried that it may affect to the immigration evaluation.

Anyway, anyone who has similar situation and how did you manage it?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Elan

As your case is already being processed, that shows that you have a good enough set of qualifications and work experience to be considered for immigration. (You had enough points to get your EOI selected.) None of that can be taken away from you.

As I see it, all it will mean if you move countries is that your total of work experience will stop increasing for the time being, until you find another job, but this will not necessarily reflect badly on you - it is a normal happening. You are not dropping out of the world of work, just moving on. Later on, perhaps, in the interview, your CO may ask you why you decided to move, and at that time, it might be a good idea to think of career-related reasons for the move, as well as personal feelings, since if you ONLY say you were unhappy in a foreign country, that might give the impression you would not be able to settle in NZ - but the matter will not arise yet, and you have time to think of how best to explain.

Do you have work contacts back in the Philippines? Is there a chance that you might be able to hear of a skilled job there, before you move?

Hi JandM,

Thank you so much for your response. Thanks for the enlightenment.
    Actually, one of the reasons of being unhappy here in Singapore is the fact that we are only in working visa and we don't have a health insurance. The fear triggered when our child was sick for one week (just last week) and we were worried what if we end up spending what we have saved. Also, our working visa may not be renewed this year due to new policy regarding foreign talents.
    Yes, we have contacts at home and we believe we can still find a job. I'm working on my own websites now aside from my daily work here and I am planning to do that full-time at home and do some freelance jobs while waiting for NZ result. Would this affect my application?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
    Elan

To be quite frank, it would be better if you could get some skilled employment, since the Skilled Migrant Category is all about going find a job working for someone else in NZ. If you spend very long purely self-employed, and it comes to the CO interview, you are likely to find the CO asking awkward questions about it. There is a Business visa for the self-employed.

Thank you so much, JandM! We'll just wait for our interview.

Hi elan,
    I sent you a PM, I came from SG and have moved here in Dec. I agree with JandM. And my thoughts -- stay on with your current job or find a skilled employment in the Philippines while your application is in process.

cheers!

Hi Angela,

I replied to your PM. Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
    Elan