Thread: GST and import duties when moving a container

Default GST and import duties when moving a container

Hiya!
    Maybe there is a better place to post this but I'm curious if I were to ship a container containing a mix of personal and business if I need to seperate them or if I can mix it up? Also am I correct that if it is personal (bed, sofa, housewares) there is no GST but if it is new and still in packaging I will be paying? What about machinery? I have a small Kubota tractor that I'd love to take to use for gardening vs. selling it and buying new but how will that be treated. If our LTBV is approved and we want to take surplus equipment from our businesses here will we have to pay GST or import duties on it?
    Thanks for any and all help!

Cheers,
    Mic

Hi. Can't answer the stuff about specifically business equipment and GST - maybe ask IRD (www.ird.govt.nz)? However, the tractor shouldn't be a problem so long as it is spotlessly clean. Anything that has been outside near grass, seeds, animals is subject to a very thorough examination. Would you be able to get spares for it in NZ? Cheers. Karen

Kubota spares should not be a problem; they're quite common here and your tractor would definitely be worth keeping. The only way you are going to end up paying GST and duty on personal effects in your container is if you dance along the counter singing "look at all my new stuff, please charge me some money".

I have a similar issue - lots of sealed boxes but as part of my lego collection. Will these be treated as mine (ie collectables) or 'taxable business things' because they are still sealed in boxes?