Thread: Rope Access Tech Supervisor requiring work visa

Default Rope Access Tech Supervisor requiring work visa

Hi Guy's,

I am currently looking at my options of living and working in New Zealand.

I am an Industrial Rope Access Tecnician L3 Supervisor, basically an abseiler that works whilst hanging off ropes or supervising others doing it. Along with this trade I am also a Tree Surgeon. I have a lot of experience carrying out maintenance works on high rise buildings, bridges etc and geotechnical stabilisation projects on the railway.

I lived and worked in New Zealand in 2002 as part of the working/holiday visa scheme, I was 27 at the time. I had an IRD number and paid my taxes.

I have emailed a few companies in NZ and they have all said they may be interested in employing me and that I should get in contact with them when I arrive. My only worry here is that it's a bit of a gamble as I may not get a work visa once I'm over there. It would be quite a sacrifice to me to give up my house, job, get rid of most of my stuff to head out there and then find that I've got to come back after 6 months.

Does anyone out there have any experience of travelling to NZ on a holiday visa then finding work and applying for a work visa?

The other thing is I would like to go out with my fiancee, she is relatively unskilled (in visa application terms! ). Will she be able to stay out with me? Or would she have to find a job that ticks the boxes and apply for a visa in the same way?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can't tell you about prospects in your line of work, but there are many people who have got a job offer while on a visitor's visa. If you get an offer from an accredited employer, or your skills are rare enough that an employer is interested in you, and you meet the requirements for health and character, a work visa can follow quickly upon an offer. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/

If you and your fiance have proof of live-in partnership (use the Search for old threads on evidence needed for this), once you are applying for a work visa, she can apply for a partner-sponsored work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm You can both apply at the same time, linking the applications with a covering letter, and the CO will work them as one case, supplying details that you won't know to start with (such as your visa number) as they become available. The partner-sponsored work visa would match your work visa for length of time. The ONLY thing checked for this (apart from health and character) is the partnership - there is no requirement on the partner for skilled qualifications. And it's an 'open' work visa, which means the holder is entitled to take any job they're offered.

Hi JandM,

That's very helpful, thank you. I think we'll take our chances and head out on a holiday visa and see what I can secure from there. I know that the last time I was there, people couldn't do enough to help me get some work and wanted me to stay out there. Due to circumstances I had to come home, we'll hopefully relocate permanently this time.

Cheers.

Really good luck to both of you!

Have a good think through all the evidence that you're going to need when you apply for the visas, because there are certainly some things that are easier to get when you are right there to hand in your home country, rather than trying to pressure people to do the necessary when you're just a voice on the phone from the other side of the world.