Thread: Advice needed on Childcare and After School Care !

Default Advice needed on Childcare and After School Care !

Hi Folks !

We are full time working parents and would like to get some advise from parents in NZ... what's the best option for our kids in terms of childcare (below 5 yrs old son) and after school care (above 7 yrs old son).

Any one knows how much is the childcare cost per week and after school care charges per hour in the Auckland area ?. Any recommendations ?. How about school bus charges?.

How about Childcare Subsidy, OSCAR Subsidy and 20 Hours ECE ?.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and expertise on this. Thanks.

Below 5 there are plenty of kindies available. Find out where you are going and then look into local kindies. They are ones that do just morning or afternoon sessions and others that provide full time care. Some recognise the 20 free hrs but not all of them. A lot of the primary schools provide after school care, ours provided afternoon tea. My kids go to before and after school at a local church and they pick up and drop off.
    I am not sure how the subsidies you mention work, sorry.
    I am sure you will get more replies soon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Hagabel. I'm a bit relieved now after seeing your information. So my primary schooling son can involve in the after school activities from 3 to 6 pm in the same school and we can request the school to drop off the child at 6 pm ?. That really sounds good. How much is the fee for after school activities ?.

Quote Originally Posted by arvin View Post
    Thanks Hagabel. I'm a bit relieved now after seeing your information. So my primary schooling son can involve in the after school activities from 3 to 6 pm in the same school and we can request the school to drop off the child at 6 pm ?. That really sounds good. How much is the fee for after school activities ?.
    The school will not drop the child off, you, or an appointed party, will have to pick the child up from school. Also most after school care programs I am aware of go to 5:30pm, not 6pm. Permanent fees (as opposed to one offs) are usually around $10-20/day (depends on the school).

As for your preschooler, it depends on the child care provider (Kindercare, Lollipops, etc...), but these are some ballpark figures:
    2-3 years old: $60.00 full day
    3-5 year olds: $45.00 full day

The reduced cost for the 3-5 year olds is your 20 hours of ECE. Some places charge extra for food, others you provide them with a packed lunch.

Thanks G-Mo. Appreciate it.

No, no you misunderstood me! The church before and after school care picks up and drops off kids from their location(2 kms from school) at 0830 and 1500 for school. Their hours are 0700-1730 although I know the before school care at the school starts at 0730. We have after school activities separate from the care. My kids do judo, horseriding, soccor in our own time.

The fees for our church(more expensive than school care but better) are approx $14 per child before and around $13 after care. That includes drop off and pick up from school to church and there are lots of different things for them to do. For a day at holiday care (same place) it is about $60 per child and we provide lunch and then more if going on trips.
    Last edited by Hagabel; 29th April 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Hagabel for the detailed information.

Thanks Hagabel for the detailed information.

Sorry holiday care $30 per child so $60 for both.