Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skilled Migrant Category VS Work to Residence

Default Skilled Migrant Category VS Work to Residence

Hello, thanks for viewing my thread.

I was just reading up the options I have and the different visas New Zealand offers and I've read on both the Skilled Migrant Category, which gives a Resident Visa, and the Work to Residence Category, which gives a Work to Residence Visa.

Could someone clarify these for me?

1. If I am under the Long Term Skills Shortage list, but have not found a job offer from an employer in New Zealand, which category should I apply in? If I do have a job offer from an employer in New Zealand, which category should I apply in then?

Assuming I have 160 points on the EOI system with a job offer from an employer, which should category should I look into?

2. What's the difference between the two categories? Why does one offer a resident visa while the other, a work to resident visa, when both requirements are similar?

I might have more questions later on, but these are the two which I am most curious about.

Thank you for your time, I do hope you could help Have a nice day!
    Last edited by cherietjy; 27th April 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Hi there

Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) essentially gives you permanent residence once approved versus Work to Residence which gives visa for 30 months (if am not wrong) with an option to apply PR after 24 months subject to requirements which you can read on Imm NZ website.

Without job offer your only option would be SMC as for work to residence category you need a job offer to become eligible.

The requirements and processing times for two categories differ and again you can find more info on Imm website. To give you an idea in London Branch SMC processing time is one-three months from date of submission versus 5 working days for work to residence (assuming no complications in application). For SMC e.g. you need to submit evidence of English if you are not a native English speaker and have your qualifications assessed by NZQA versus work to residence which has no such requirements.

I hope this helps.

Zaryab is correct, except that you can file for 'Residency Visa' and not PR after two years on WTR Visa. You might be eligible for PR,if your annual income is at least 90k, at the time of filing Residency/PR. Here is the official version of it-

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

Thank you both for clarifying this issue for me.
    I appreciate it very much!
    So essentially the Skilled Migrant Category awards a Permanent residency instead of a resident visa, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by cherietjy View Post
    Thank you both for clarifying this issue for me.
    I appreciate it very much!
    So essentially the Skilled Migrant Category awards a Permanent residency instead of a resident visa, correct?
    No, the skilled migrant category awards residency initially.

If you apply for WTR and after 2 years you can apply for residency, if you earn at least $90K then you can go straight to permanent residency at this point.

Ian

Thanks for correcting on Residence v/s PR. Can I ask for my knowledge if one earns below $90k at the end of two years on WTR, one will get Residency. After Residency what one have to do to get PR?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaryab View Post
    Thanks for correcting on Residence v/s PR. Can I ask for my knowledge if one earns below $90k at the end of two years on WTR, one will get Residency. After Residency what one have to do to get PR?

Cheers
    Same as anyone else who has been granted residency.

Normally that would be just live in NZ for the following two years and then apply for the permanent residence visa.

See Permanent Residence requirements for more details.

Ian

great thanks for sharing info. Just to sum up, if salary is less then $90k it takes further 2 years to get PR. Does one's time on residence not count towards citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaryab View Post
    great thanks for sharing info. Just to sum up, if salary is less then $90k it takes further 2 years to get PR. Does one's time on residence not count towards citizenship?
    Time on residence does count towards citizenship (as does permanent residence).

were physically present in New Zealand, and have had your New Zealand residence for the last five years before applying for citizenship.
    Ian

A couple of questions not 100% topic related, but I rather not make a new topic for it:
    - if one has under 140 points in the EOI for a SMC, and believes it would take forever to get the Visa that way, is there an option for a Visitor/something else Visa, that he could find, with the purpose of reaching NZ and find a job? The great majority of the jobs ask for residence and work/live rights in NZ.
    Is there a simple way to get them temporary, in order to get there, go to interviews, get a job, then change it to something else?

Thank you for your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast