Thread: Occupation not on LTSS list

Default Occupation not on LTSS list

Hi everyone,

I am living and working full time in Australia in shipping industry. However I am not an Australian permanent resident and my visa is going to expire soon. I am looking to apply for New Zealand PR under SMC. My occupation is not listed in the LTSS list. Can you please help advise if I would be able to get PR with an occupation not on the LTSS list. I have a master degree pre-assessed by NZQA at Level 8. Assuming that I can have a job offer in NZ for my current occupation, is there any avenue for me toward getting PR? I have not started looking for a job in NZ yet as I am not sure if it helps in securing me PR. I know it is tough to get a job offer in NZ hence I need to know the chance of getting PR before I can start looking for a job. I have done some preliminary research and understand I am not eligible for other types of work visa (Essential Skill Work Visas (ISSL), Talent Visas, etc..).

Thanks everyone and any advice that can be given is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Steve

Hello.

I think you would find it helpful to look at this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42642.htm from the INZ operational manual. Basically, your job does not have to be on the LTSSL for you to apply under SMC, as long as it meets the criteria here.

Also, note that under the NZ system, the first visa you obtain if successful under SMC is Residence. Once living in NZ with Residence, there are requirements to meet over two years http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm in order to get Permanent Residence.

Hi JandM,

Thank you so much for your great information. As usual you are so helpful. I will look at the information in the links carefully and hope you can further assist if I have any other questions.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by kelvinc; 28th April 2013 at 02:02 PM.