Thread: Best way of accessing NZ account when on vaction in the UK

Default Best way of accessing NZ account when on vaction in the UK

Is it better to take a travel card loaded with money or just use a visa for our account here in NZ? And to get cash here or in the UK?
    Thanks.

Bump
    sorry need answer fairly soon!

I don't know an answer for you directly. What we did when visiting in the opposite direction was to Google for recommendations. We found that a lot of debit cards make a charge for every use abroad, and for every ATM withdrawal, as well as getting hit for the exchange rate every time, so it was in our interests not to use the debit cards on our current accounts if we could help it. At the time, there was one UK credit card that didn't make a charge for foreign use, as long as you had a standing order set up to pay off the total every month, so we got one of those specially for the trip. And there was at the time a local Bureau de Change which did a special rate for pensioners one day in the week, so I changed quite a large amount before leaving.

I know these won't directly help you, but hope it may suggest some things to look into. There's a credit card comparison link from here. http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/c...edit-card-tips

We used to get cash out in NZ then used our ASB credit card over there when needed.

I use the Air New Zealand OneSmart card, it can hold wallets in multiple currencies which you can eaily swap about and the exchange rate is pretty good. It is a prepaid MasterCard and money left on it can be used in NZ.
    Been to UK, Hong Kong and Australia using it with no problems and it earns Air NZ Dollars.

Simon

Do you still have accounts in the UK? If so, use Forex to one off transfer cash to the UK account.

Otherwise, use your NZ debit to withdraw cash in bulk amounts (avoiding repeat fees) and use your credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Do you still have accounts in the UK? If so, use Forex to one off transfer cash to the UK account.

Otherwise, use your NZ debit to withdraw cash in bulk amounts (avoiding repeat fees) and use your credit card.

Thanks guys. No all our bank accts are in the US, closed ours in UK 22 years ago!

If you are still in NZ Hagabel, depending on how much cash you need/want and how long you are away for, (plus, how much shopping you are planning on doing!), I would suggest a travel card (preloaded with £) and then you don't have any currency conversion fees, and can stick to your budget. Plus, if you have the card set up on your internet banking, you can always top it up, if needed!

The Air New Zealand OneSmart card mentioned below looks pretty good. Westpac Travel prepaid card looks about the same. The key thing to watch are the currency conversion fees. There are a list of other NZ prepaid cards here

http://nzprepaidcreditcard.com/

We maintain a US bank account and a US credit card for just this purpose (using my parents' home address). Unlike our NZ Visa card, our Capital One card costs nothing and does not charge a foreign transaction fee. Also very useful for shopping on-line (outside NZ). The bank account (also free) allows us to withdraw cash from foreign ATMs without paying the ridiculous fees that ASB charges.