Thread: Information on SMC

Post Information on SMC

I'm seeking some basic information on how the Skill Migration Category works.

I understand to kick start the process, I must apply for EOI first and wait for its approval. If my EOI gets approved, I will be sent ITA. In response to ITA, I will have to submit all my documents and prove whatever claims I have made for EOI is in order. My question is if my ITA is accepted then what kind of visa I'm likely to get considering I don't have any job offer at this point of time? Will I get WTR/Residency/Permanent Residency visa? After getting visa, is there any time frame in which I must arrive in NZ?

Thanks,
    Krunal

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by krunalc View Post
    My question is if my ITA is accepted then what kind of visa I'm likely to get considering I don't have any job offer at this point of time?
    It will be too early to expect and estimate/know/think about the outcome of the application. This depends on various factors. After submitting the ITA, in any time, if you get a job - offer you will immediately get Resident visa with 49(1) travel conditions. (There are some JandM posts regarding the travel conditions. Please check them)
    Without job - offer also, you may get Resident visa without any conditions. Job Search Visa is another type and last may be application declined. As said, there are so many factors (including interview with CO) which will lead to different types of visas.

Quote Originally Posted by krunalc View Post
    Will I get WTR/Residency/Permanent Residency visa? After getting visa, is there any time frame in which I must arrive in NZ?
    There is no Permanent Residency now if you have SMC. It is only SMC JSV or Resident visa. Please check recent "Vishy" post, where everyone gave the information regarding when to travel for SMC JSV.

If you get Resident visa, after getting the visa stamped, you need to travel within 1 year of the stamping date.

JandM and other forum-items, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
    Raju.
    Last edited by Raju; 28th April 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Okay, just some tweaks, Raju, but thanks for doing lots of the work.

After submitting the ITA, in any time, if you get a job - offer you will immediately get Resident visa with 49(1) travel conditions.
    After submitting the ITA, the CO will have to check all the evidence provided to make certain what you have claimed about yourself is genuine. Once the evidence is verified, THEN, if you got a skilled job offer, you'd go to the front of the queue and shortly (allowing for processing) get Residence, with a section 49(1) condition. (Not travel conditions - that's something different.*) The normal section 49(1) condition for someone with a job offer is that they take up the job within three months of arrival in NZ, then work at that job for three months. Having done that, and still being in the same job, they can then be given another Residence visa without any condition on it.

*Everyone with a Residence visa gets two years' travel conditions along with it, which allow them to come and go freely from NZ for that period of time. If they have demonstrated commitment to NZ in that time, they can then get PR, which allows them to continue to come and go freely - details on the INZ website.

Someone without a job offer will be interviewed by the CO near the end of the processing of their case. How they answer in the interview will determine what visa they get. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm

Anyone granted Residence has six months in which to send in their passport and pay the Migrant Levy, then a further 12 months from the date on the visa to arrive in NZ and activate it.

Thanks a lot Raju and JandM for your detailed reply.

Your replies clarified my doubts and also gave me the knowledge that even after selection of EOI still lot needs to be done in order to get the Residency successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    if you got a skilled job offer, you'd go to the front of the queue and shortly (allowing for processing) get Residence, with a section 49(1) condition.
    Hi JandM,

Is there a link from INZ website which I can refer for this information? I want to show it my friend in Auckland who referred me for a job position.

Best Regards,
    Elan

Here you go. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30536.htm