Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airlines offering immigration deals

Default Airlines offering immigration deals

Just got our visa on the parent category and so need to book a flight for August. Could do with any advice on airlines who may offer deals - extra baggage allowance, discount tickets????

In the past, forum members have found that you need to ask specifically about the extra baggage allowance for migrants (which not all airlines give), and also, when you have decided which airline to use and are making your booking, you need to get the agreement in writing as to what you are being allowed, to be able to show this to the check-in clerk at the airport, who may not be clued up and may start trying to charge you excess. I know, you would think that these days it would all be linked to your record on their computer, etc., etc., but this seems to be the way it goes!

From the UK the only airline that seems to offer persons with migrant visas not yet validated is Singapore--and they're a great airline. But you might want to compare your airfare plus any excess baggage charges, since you might still come out ahead with another airlines whose base airfare is lower.

Your choices from London include:
    Singapore via Singapore
    Emirates via Dubai and Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane
    Thai via Bangkok
    Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong
    Malaysian via Kuala Lumpur
    Qantas via Dubai and Sydney or Melbourne
    Air New Zealand via Los Angeles
    China Southern via Guangzhou
    Air China via Shanghai
    China Airlines via Taipei and Sydney

And combinations even more complex than this! Good luck!

Hi. Singapore Airlines allowed us an extra 25 kg when we returned from NZ to UK. Don't forget to register for air miles with whichever airline you choose. By the time you have a return trip you have enough air miles for a single or return flight to Oz from NZ with some airlines e.g. Singapore Airlines- called Kris Flyer. They're my favourite. I love the swimming pool at the airport in Singapore - in the open on the roof. A great way to freshen up between two halves of the flight. Good luck! Karen

Not sure it still happens but you used to get two bags at 23kg each per person if you travel on NZ1 Air New Zealand via Los Angeles route to NZ.

Sadly they stopped this.

Qatar Airways. They are the only one who do not complicate with hand baggage weight, their prices about additional kilograms are cheaper than in any other flying company. They aloud me to have 3 bags and a rucksack for only 200$ (usd). And I had really heavy baggage. In normal flying company I would have to pay a fortune.

Check this out:

http://www.netflights.com/baggage-allowances.aspx

I was considering to chose Emirates whereas they allow you 30 kilograms, however their rules are too rigid and straight like in any other flying company except Qatar Airways.
    Last edited by Mike1987; 29th April 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Very good to know--thanks! But Qatar doesn't fly to New Zealand--yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1987 View Post
    Qatar Airways. They are the only one who do not complicate with hand baggage weight, their prices about additional kilograms are cheaper than in any other flying company. They aloud me to have 3 bags and a rucksack for only 200$ (usd). And I had really heavy baggage. In normal flying company I would have to pay a fortune.

Check this out:

http://www.netflights.com/baggage-allowances.aspx

I was considering to chose Emirates whereas they allow you 30 kilograms, however their rules are too rigid and straight like in any other flying company except Qatar Airways.

Very good to know--thanks! But Qatar doesn't fly to New Zealand--yet.
    Have a ticket for 800€ from EU to NZ. Though I will fly with Jetstar from Melbourne, however the flying policy is dictated by Qatar and thus if I buy additional weight they cannot charge me again in Jetstar. 7 kilogram is hand baggage though they do not weight it actually.

Kewl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast