Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for work visa with family

Default Applying for work visa with family

I'm a US citizen, and I have been offered a job that starts in July, and I'm just now starting on the work visa application. I think I'm pretty clear on what I need to do -- temporary work visa application, general medical certificate, and chest x-rays. What I'm unclear on is what I need to do for my family. My wife doesn't plan on working in NZ, and we have a 1-year-old son.

Is it true that, of the three of us, only I need to apply for a work visa?

It it true that my wife and son need to fill out INZ-1146 "Partners Supporting Partnership-Based Temporary Entry Applications?" (Family Stream)

Is it true that neither my wife nor my son need to do the General Medical Certificate and Chest x-rays?

Is it true that neither my wife not my son need to submit passport photos?

Is it true that I can submit all three applications at once, before actually holding a work visa?

Many thanks!

HI. Ok - here are some answers. First of all, if you are applying for more than 24 months, you and your wife will also need Police Certificates. Your wife needs to complete Form 1017 as well 1146 and she can include your son on your wife's form. Do you know what category of work visa you need? It depends on your qualifications and experience, whether the employer is accredited and if your skill is on the Long term Skill Shortage List. Whether or not your wife and son need medicals depends again on how long you plan on staying. If it's more than 12 months then they will both need a Medical certificate and your wide will need an x-ray cert. You can apply for all visas together. You will also need to show you have sufficient funds to support your wife and son (this can be amount of salary) and evidence that your partnership is longer than 12 months - bank statements, joint tenancy/property ownership etc. Finally, you also need to show that you are "bona fide" temporary entrants i.e. that you have the means to leave at the end of your visa and a reason to return home. I could be more precise if I knew a little more about your circumstances. You will need [passport photos for both your wife and son. Feel free to ask. Kind regards. Karen

Note, INZ 1146 is to be filled in by you, the person entitled to the work visa - you are supporting your wife's application.

Thank you! That really helps. We plan on staying longer than 24 months, and I'm applying under the Essential Skills visa.

What kind of information do we have to provide to show we're "bona fide" temporary entrants? Just that we're not refugees or something? Does that mean we couldn't elect to stay longer if we wanted to be there for, say, 5 years, or become permanent residents?

Hi. The key thing about bona fide status is showing that you have the means to leave if you don't get a subsequent work or residence visa. It could be as simple as showing that you have the funds and writing a letter stating that you understand that you understand the rules and that you have the right to return to your home country. Just a thought, but in case your wife might want to work part-time at some point, she could apply for a work visa as the partner of an Essential Skills work visa holder. She wouldn't need a job offer and she can apply at the same time as you apply for your visa. Cheers Karen

Thanks, Karen,

Actually we have talked a lot about the possibility of my wife working once we're settled, but it's just not something we're planning on. All of our budgeting and financial planning has been based on my income alone.

In any event, do you have a link to the form she would fill out for that? Would that just save us the time of doing it once we're there? Sort of like being "pre-approved?"

Hi. It's INZ 1198. Can't do links on this device. Sorry. Karen

Here's the form. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1198.pdf And here are the instructions. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../familystream/ Yes, there's no obligation on her to work, just because she has this visa, but it means she can take any job she's offered once you're there, if she wants to.

I would recommend to apply for a work visa in USA as it's free of charge there. If you apply here, you have to pay $270 (you)+$270(your spouse)+$165(your kid). Besides, your insurance can cover your medical tests in most cases as you have an option to choose your own doctor there.

Information about fee-waiver agreements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1028.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast