Thread: SMC - In Happy Scenario, will it result to JSV or WTR?

Post SMC - In Happy Scenario, will it result to JSV or WTR?

Hi,

I have applied under SMC (with no Job offer).
    When I applied under SMC category, my thoughts were that SMC will lead to WTR and then I can apply for PR. while going to the threads, I am confused.

Please help me to clarify if everything goes fine:
    1. Will I get a JSV or WTR or some other category?
    2. What conditions drive getting WTR directly?
    3. What are the chances of getting WTR under SMC? And, what makes it happen to get WTR?

Regards,
    Ankur

Hi. The SMC Job Search Visa is issued under the Work to Residence instructions. There are other Work to residence visas - for example if you get a Work Visa fro an accredited employer. Whether or not you are offered a JSV or a SMC Residence Visa will depend on whether you can demonstrate that you meet the Contribution/Settlement Factors. With no job offer and no work experience or qualification from NZ, this is down to the interview. At the end of the day, it is about convincing INZ that you are likely to be able to find work and make a successful new life for yourself in NZ. If you want to read more about the Work to residence Category, go to the INZ Operational Manual and look under Temporary Entry/Work Visas then WR Instructions. Cheers. Karen

Thanks Karen.

Regards,
    Ankur

Hello, Ankur.

I think you have been looking at some old material from INZ, or on old threads here, and some of the confusion may be because INZ changed the names of various visas.

You are applying under SMC. These are the possible outcomes:

Residence, which used to be called PR, and is not the same as PR now mentioned on the INZ website
    The Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa (SMC JSV), which used to be called WTR, and is not the same as WTR which is now mentioned on the INZ website
    Refusal.

When evidence of your qualifications, work experience, health and character has been verified, as you don't have a job offer, the CO will want to interview you. What you say in the interview will decide whether you get Residence, or the SMC JSV (or refusal, but we are assuming all goes well). Here are the details of what the CO will be judging in the interview, and the reasons for giving one visa or the other. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm

You cannot get WTR when applying under SMC.

Hi JandM,

Thanks for your response and like always its helpful.

Regards,
    Ankur