Thread: Applying SMC after getting skilled job on SF JSV

Default Applying SMC after getting skilled job on SF JSV

Hi All

So just to fast track things; i have 125 points (EOI Not Submitted)
    Wife is educated (have not submitted docs to NZQA ... we were waiting for SF outcome .. wife qualificaitons not included in application)
    SF JSV Selected: 29/04/2013

Suppose my application for SF JSV got selected; I went to NZ to find a job; found a job in my profession (LTSSL) (ICT sector) ..
    Would I necessarily have to go through the SF Practical Visa Phase? Or can I submit my SMC EOI immediately instead upon receiving a full time skill job offer?? Because what I would in fact thereafter have is 125 points + 50 points(or more) for the job offer which would yield more than 140 points .. (I would be selected in the next round) .. This situation will also allow me to save money on the NZQA assessment for my spouse's qualification ... Is this a possibility?
    Are there any applicants who through with the same nature and found success or hardships? .. Please share!..

Cheers!
    Last edited by newbie; 30th April 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Nobody has to use the Silver Fern practical experience visa - upon getting a skilled job offer while on SF JSV, you can proceed straight to applying for Residence under SMC.

Hi JandM

Thanks!.. thats good stuff!! ..

Can you tell me something .. I have noticed in many of your comments.. you mention "Residence under SMC" .. Is this different from "Permanent Residency"? ..
    And if there is a difference.. How is it different? Does this affect us if we aspire to study on receiving residency under SMC? i..e not international fees ..

Also, while we do apply for SMC when on SF Visa.. we have to wait for the entire cycle to complete before gaining residency under SMC .. meanwhile wont we be having silver fern practical experience visa?

Sorry for the list of questions .. i cant seem to real get out around these nitty gritty stuff!..

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Hi JandM
    Can you tell me something .. I have noticed in many of your comments.. you mention "Residence under SMC" .. Is this different from "Permanent Residency"? ..
    Yes.

When people look at old threads on here, or perhaps they have old informational material from INZ, there is confusion because INZ have changed the names on some of the visas

When you apply under SMC, these are the possible outcomes.

Residence, which used to be called PR, which is not the same as PR now mentioned on the INZ website.
    The Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa, which used to be called Work To Residence, which is not the same as the WTR now mentioned on the INZ website.
    Refusal.

And if there is a difference.. How is it different?
    Residence comes with two years' travel conditions, which allow you to come and go freely from NZ during that time. If you live in NZ on the Residence visa for two years and meet certain requirements as mentioned here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, you can get Permanent Residence (PR). PR gives you the right to come and go from NZ freely for ever.

Does this affect us if we aspire to study on receiving residency under SMC? i..e not international fees ..
    You can be a student and pay domestic fees if you have either Residence or PR. You can't get any NZ government help towards your fees until you have lived in NZ for two years. Be aware that if you are interviewed for Residence under SMC (which would happen if you got to that point without a job offer), it is an immediate 'no' if you state you intend to go straight into a programme of study, because the interview is to determine your employability - SMC is all about getting skilled migrants working in NZ as soon as possible, using the skills that NZ is short of. Once you HAVE Residence, you have the choice, but you have to get it first, so be careful what you say.

Also, while we do apply for SMC when on SF Visa.. we have to wait for the entire cycle to complete before gaining residency under SMC .. meanwhile wont we be having silver fern practical experience visa?
    SMC is entirely separate from SF.

So for example...

Mr X has the SF JSV, having sent proof of his qualifications etc. to INZ. He arrives in NZ, entitled to stay and work for nine months.

He gets the offer of a skilled job, and starts to work.

Now, he has choices. Suppose (choice 1) he finds he doesn't much like living in NZ. He might work for the nine months of the SF JSV, then go home.

Choice 2: suppose he just wanted to see the world for a while, then go back and work in his home country. He might apply for the Silver Fern Work Experience Visa after the SF JSV, work for another two years, and go home.

Choice 3: with his job offer, he has plenty of points for his EOI, so he applies for Residence under Skilled Migrant. He can do this straight away when he gets his job offer, straight from the SF JSV. When INZ get his EOI, it will be selected at the next draw (because it is 100+ points with job), then the whole SMC procedure will happen, checking everything on the EOI. The checks are more stringent than for SF JSV, because the person will be staying long term. If INZ thought the process was not going to be finished before the SF JSV would run out, they would tell Mr X what other visa he ought to put in for, to fill the gap in time.

One more thought - if Mr X first thought he was going to make Choice 2, but then decided he would like to stay in NZ after all, he can apply for Residence under SMC from having the SF Work Experience Visa, too.

And this is exactly why Mr X is so glad to virtually be in touch with you!! .. Thanks Heaps for the above!!! .. Makes a whole lotta sense!!!

I do have a few question on the documents submission bit..

(__) evidence you meet the qualification requirements:
    * a qualification equivalent to a New Zealand Bachelor's degree (level 7) or higher OR
    * a trade qualification equivalent to a New Zealand National Certificate (level 4) AND evidence of two years of relevant work experience in that trade

I Have a Level 7 equivalent Qualification as per the NZQA framework (Exempted from Assessment).. However with this requirement, do I need to submit just my Original Degree to INZ? or the Original Degree with the Original Transcript?

(__) evidence that you hold, or you can obtain, New Zealand registration if your qualification is relevant to an occupation that requires registration by law in New Zealand.

Because I am from the ICT Sector (Analyst Programmer) , I do not need to provide occupation registration evidence? .. So how do I provide evidence that I don't require occupation registration?

Cheers!!!

Are you now talking about applying under SMC, or for the SF JSV?

SF JSV ... thats an extract from the email i received upon my SF application ..

Okay.

As your qualification is on the list of qualifications exempt from assessment on the INZ website, you only need to send the certificate.

(__) evidence that you hold, or you can obtain, New Zealand registration if your qualification is relevant to an occupation that requires registration by law in New Zealand.
    Note the 'if' - since your qualification is NOT for that sort of occupation, you don't have to provide anything.