Thread: SF JSV- occupational registration is needed or not?

Default SF JSV- occupational registration is needed or not?

Hello all,

This is the situation of my colleague.

Last Month ( 29th April,2013) he has been selected for silver fern job search visa for New zealand. INZ now is asking for sending evidence whether he meet the requirements for his visa. One of the requirement is New Zealand Occupation registration. They wrote to him evidence that you hold, or you can obtain, New Zealand registration if your qualification is relevant to an occupation that requires registration by law in New Zealand.

Last year, he had completed IQA for his Bachelor ( B.Sc in Electronics and Communication Engineering) from NZQA. NZQA assessment outcome is Bachelor of Engineering Technology ( Electronic Engineering) at level 7 ( 360 credits) and had put a comments in his IQA report and the comment is “In New Zealand Registration is required by law to undertake employment as an Engineer. Registration is determined by the appropriate occupational registration body”.

My colleague has 5 years work experience in Telecomminication in different company.

Now, he would like to come to Newzealand and want to work in Telecommunication .

1) Can you please advice me is there any registration is required to work in Telecommunication in New Zealand. If needed then what type of registration is needed?

2) in the worst case (as his IQA document put the comment for occupational registration) if he need occupational registration then he have to contact with IPENZ right? In that case KA01 knowledge assessment is enough or he need to also go through KA02 assessment?

Hi. I am not 100% certain here. I would firstly ask INZ exactly what they need from him right now and tell them about the IQA. Secondly, I would contact IPENZ and ask them whether or not his degree and work experience qualify him for registration and if not, what would be required and how long it would take. The LTSSL is quite clear that registration is required to work as an Engineer. It might be possible for him to work as a Electrical Engineering Technician (312312) or Electronic Engineering Technician
    (312412) instead. He would need to confirm this with INZ. I hope that helps. Karen