Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Christchurch safe now?

Default Is Christchurch safe now?

I am planning to move to Christchurch. I found that minor shocks hit everyday (http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/). I know, no one can predict massive quake but can you tell me how you feel living in Christchurch now?

Bored, missing the adrenalin buzz!

I think I have only felt one quake which was very minor in the last eight weeks. We are all still aware it could happen, but it appears to be calmer at the moment. In NZ quakes can happen anywhere at anytime, so whether Christchurch or somewhere else it is something you need to be ready for.

It has been safe since we moved here more than 16 months ago. Yes small shakes here and there but after a while you don't even notice it anymore. It has been a while (more than 2 months) since I felt anything at all and yes it is kinda of 'boring'...so come over and life is great here....

The earthquakes seem to have abated but living/working here is a nightmare. If I were you I would definitely choose another city for the next few years.

It's probably the safest city in NZ for earthquakes as any building that isn't safe has or will be taken down. It's been very quiet for a long time now and the rebuild is (slowly) underway.

I don't find living/working here a nightmare - quite the opposite - but that depends on your own personal perspective.

Yep, agreed. Now getting quiet, and let's face it- NZ is on a quake zone, so you'd be best of in ChCh than any other city in NZ (if not the world). Anything which could come down has, and what's being built is super safe.

Not been anything of note since Jan I don't think, even then just a shudder.

As for living and working here, depends at what level. Agree that finding houses is your worst nightmare, unless at the top end, and lower end jobs dont pay much, so it's hard to make ends meet. Housing/Rent so expensive. Apart from that though, the rebuild means that so much stuff opens so quickly, and it's all new and often vibrant, so is a pretty good place to live really, and still LOADS to do, whether young, old or a family.

I can only say I envy you. My 45 minute commute from the north regularly takes 1.5 hours and sometimes up to 2 hours. It is not at all uncommon to take over 30 minutes to travel two blocks that would be a ten minute walk.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend living north unless you travel out of rush hour.
    My 15 min commute from Redcliffs takes 15 mins....sorry

I know many people living in the north to east quadrant of the city constantly struggling with traffic - route diversions are in place and changes regularly as roadworks are being carried out. It might be helpful to check this site regularly for updated information to plan your daily routes: http://www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz/

That site is a bit of a joke: it doesn't show half of the roadworks. Coming from the north pretty much every road is either closed of restricted in some way. As soon as you find a new route, they dig it up! As for rush hour, the queue for town starts at around Kaiapoi at 0700. In the afternoon even if you leave work at 1600 it takes most of an hour to cross town. The light traffic was something I really liked about Chch but that seems to be gone; it is at least as bad as the UK towns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast