Thread: JSV with Family Stream

Question JSV with Family Stream

Hi,

I got JSV and want my wife to join me on Work Visa under Family Stream.
    But as per http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, if partner's visa is SMC Job Search Instructions visa, work visa can't be grated.

Request you to please provide your inputs on how to proceed further.

Regards,
    Raju.

No, you're correct.

The whole point of the SMC JSV is for the main applicant to go alone and concentrate all their time and resources on getting a skilled job. As soon as they do that and get their deferred Residence, then their partner and any children who were on the original SMC application get their Residence, too, and can join them.

This may seem harsh, but it was a rule change in response to what had become an even harsher problem. Under the old regulations, when a family was allowed to go with a JSV holder, they would find a home, maybe the partner, on an open visa, would find a job, and the children would settle into school. But if, in nine months, the JSV holder had NOT got a skilled job, they would all be told to leave the country. Of course, it was a heartbreaking thing for this group of people, having to tear up the life they had begun to make for themselves, and even worse if, despite all warnings, they had sold up their home in their original country and now had nothing to go back to. That is why the law is now as it is.

The only way for your partner to get to NZ while you are there would be to apply for a Visitor's Visa in her own right, but it is very unlikely that it would be granted, for the same reasons as above.

Hi JandM,

As always you are super. Thank you very much for the response.

One more query. . After getting a skilled job offer, do I need to update my CO that I started working on the skilled job?
    Then my case will be transferred to that branch? (Say Auckland/Wellington)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Raju.

You don't need to contact your existing/old CO - you make contact with the INZ office in NZ local to where you are then living. You will have already told them your contact details in NZ when you arrived. I don't know what they will do about your wife's passport, for her visa, but they will give you instructions when the time comes.

Hi JandM,

Thank you very much. You answered the other question also (Wife's visa).

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Raju.