Thread: What are you allowed to take on plane for snacks for kids?

Default What are you allowed to take on plane for snacks for kids?

HI,
    I am flying back to the UK via China in 4 days with 6/8 yr olds. I have ordered kids meals but wanted to take something for stop in China(not sure how much western food available) and inflight if they get hungry. I was thinking muesli bars and maybe string cheese? Any other suggestions of what to take or if these 2 things are allowed?
    And any experience of Shanghai airport?

Sorry, can't give you any tips.., just curious- what is 'string cheese' ?

We took museli bars for our kids when we flew from UK to NZ a few years back. We just made sure we had eaten them all before we arrived in NZ so we didn't have to waste time declaring food items and getting our bags checked upon arrival.

Not cheese or any other dairy. No meat, fish, chicken etc cooked or uncooked. Usually not fresh fruit or veg. All of that stuff is prohibited by customs in most countries you will land in. And that's without considering the stuff ruled out at your departure airport because it would be seen to be a liquid at security. Taking your own stuff is a major problem now unless you buy it post security and eat all of it on the plane before you land.

Anything processed and shelf stable (like crisps, biscuits, cereal bars including mueseli) should be OK to get through Customs in PVG. But who are you flying with and in what cabin? Do you actually have to go through customs clearance or just flight connections (i.e. are you fllying with one carrier all the way with just a technical stop for fuelling in PVG)? It makes a difference if you are in transit.

String cheese is cheese sticks, sorry. I will avoid dairy, thanks. I am flying through Shanghai on Air New Zealand (code share) and then onto Virgin Atlantic. WE have about 4 hrs stop over , luggage is booekd all the way through and I am flying cattle class aka economy!

I would have thought you would be OK with cheese strings as they are processed but don't quote me on that, anything packaged is fine though, when we've flown they just laughed at us when I declared crisps & packaged food for the kids

No reason you can't leave NZ with cheese, fruit, etc. as long as you consume it before you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    No reason you can't leave NZ with cheese, fruit, etc. as long as you consume it before you arrive.
    Dell, I don't disagree. But Hagabel was interested what they could take to eat at PVG DURING the stopover, as well as during the NZ>PVG leg, so it makes a difference whether they will need to land themselves at PVG (and clear customs) or not.

And your kids will not go hungry on Air New Zealand and Virgin in economy, in fact I would imagine they will love the food - even at 6 and 8 I am sure there will be something for them to eat.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee View Post
    Dell, I don't disagree. But Hagabel was interested what they could take to eat at PVG DURING the stopover, as well as during the NZ>PVG leg, so it makes a difference whether they will need to land themselves at PVG (and clear customs) or not.

And your kids will not go hungry on Air New Zealand and Virgin in economy, in fact I would imagine they will love the food - even at 6 and 8 I am sure there will be something for them to eat.
    Oops. I should have read the post more carefully.