Thread: Packing for Thailand/NZ

Default Packing for Thailand/NZ

Hi,
    Myself and my sister are moving to NZ on a 1year WHV from Ireland. We are leaving in early June and stopping over in Thailand for approx 2 weeks on the way over. Spending most of our time in the islands. We then fly to Auckland.

As it will be two seasons we are packing for (Thailand humid) (NZ winter) i would really appreciate some help on what clothes to bring. If someone has done this before can you tell me how many shorts,tops,jeans jumpers,boots,jackets etc you brought and is it possible to get cheap enough clothes in NZ eg is there an equivalent to Pennys/Dunnes (Primark/Target) out there?

I was in NZ 7 years ago and from what i remember the clothes were not that cheap. Just wondering if things have changed since then. I find packing for a sun holiday really stressful at the best of times and end up bringing way more than i need so i just dont want to make the same mistake again and end up with a over loaded backpack! Backpack size is 60 + 20 litres.

Thanks for any advice/info you can give
    Ashley

We stopped over at Singapore for a few days on our way over in June 2010. Luckily we were carrying 160kgs of luggage and only had a few hot days! However what I packed for Singapore was quick dry stuff and linen trousers with space under for long johns on reaching NZ! Togs and t-shirts with a couple of pairs of zip on off leg trousers. Add a couple of fleecy tops and you are set.

There are no shops as cheap as Primark here...and you have to watch quality on the cheaper clothes...altho Warehouse had fleece tops in at about $12 recently...so you may find you only need to carry one and get more cheap warm clothing on arrival. You can use the Thai clothing as a base layer!

Hiya. It's really cheap to buy beach type clothes when you hit Thailand. I would recommend bringing a couple of pairs of shorts, swim suit and some T-Shirts. Everything else you can top up along the way.

I had 20kgs in my backpack, walking a kilometer uphill in the middle of the dry season in Koh Phangnan, was not my idea of fun!

Thanks for both your replies.
    I dont intend bringing much summer clothes as i know its really cheap to get them in Thailand if i get stuck and run out of something. I think im more so worried about NZ and what is enough to bring.

I was thinking 2/3 pairs of jeans,2 fleeces,few long sleeve tops, tracksuit bottoms,boots and trainers?! Im not bringing any dressy stuff as i know its quite casual out there,i wont miss the high heels thats for sure!

I have a big parka that i would really like to bring with me as its nice and warm but i may need to get my mum to ship it out to me as it will take up way to much in the suitcase and i cant wear it over on the plane because the heat in Thailand would kill me when we arrive!

Do you think i could buy some cheaper stuff for NZ in Kuala Lumpur? Or is it mainly just summer/light clothes they sell there. Thats probably a sillly question i know,sorry if it is!

Thanks again,
    Ashley

I think you could well find plenty of cheap things in NZ in The Warehouse - there are branches all over the place. http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/our-stores You have to be selective with The Warehouse. Some clothes are cheap quality, but you can also find real bargains with reasonable quality at low prices. I'm still wearing a Warehouse jumper and a fleece, and two pairs of footwear, that I bought five years ago. Also, the stores don't all hold exactly the same stock, so if you don't find what you want in one, it's worth trying another across town.

Thanks for that link JandM,its good to know there is a bargain store out there if funds become low,hopefully that wont happen though
    Only 6 weeks left till we are there,so excited i cant wait to go back its going to be amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
    I have a big parka that i would really like to bring with me as its nice and warm but i may need to get my mum to ship it out to me as it will take up way to much in the suitcase and i cant wear it over on the plane because the heat in Thailand would kill me when we arrive!
    I didn't use a winter coat in my four years in NZ. Managed with a gore-tex jacket most of the time with a fleece underneath when cold. Would recommend a waterproof jacket of some description as when it rains in NZ, it really rains.