Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visa consultant or do it myself?

Default Visa consultant or do it myself?

We have been in nz for 3 months and want to go for permanent residency. I got a quote of about $9000 from a consultant to process our visas(2 adults, 4 kids). I looked at the eoi form and was unsure of a few of the answers as my job is not specifically listed but is in high demand and I would automatically get on the short list or whatever the process is.
    Is it a complicated process or is it easily done myself? I don't want to delay things by making mistakes but I don't have $9000 to spare either. Is there any benefit financially that would make it worth paying the consultant to get it done quick and hassle free? My wife is hopefully starting work next week so I don't know if working for families would mean much to us.

You have done the hardest part getting over here,did you have a consultant for that? There are numerous posts here from people who have done it without the aid of consultants. I would say that with info and people here who can give you the links that will help you ,you can apply for permanent residency on your own.
    Anything you need to know just ask

Just for the records- I suppose that you will apply for residence, you are here on a work visa at the moment, right? The part where it is called 'permanent' will be after two years.....

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Just for the records- I suppose that you will apply for residence, you are here on a work visa at the moment, right? The part where it is called 'permanent' will be after two years.....
    I am here on a work visa that was organised by the same consultant so my knowledge of the process is minimal. It was paid for and organised by my employer. My main problem is with the employment related section as I mentioned about my job not being listed. The consultant knows all about my case so it would be easier for him to do it but I just don't know how difficult a process it is if I do it myself.

Hi, we did all the paperwork ourselves and found it to be a little difficult but I think we would have had the same work if we had gone through a consultant, as INZ still the documents your just cutting out the middle man. We did make a mistake with occupation not exactly matching LTSS list, but CO allowed us to amend occupation and seek review from NZQA, which probably cost us a little time, but since your already in NZ, it wouldn't maybe be so much bother to you. I think if you post your occupation and qualification details, somebody in your field maybe able to help guide you regarding it. Good luck whatever you decide.

Wow, $9000. We didn't use a consultant and at that price would never have considered it. No idea what immigration consultants cost but we wouldn't have paid that much for someone else to do the work we did on both our applications. Have a go at doing it yourself. You can call Immigration New Zealand up and ask them questions to confirm what you should do.
    And I second the comment above that (in my limited knowledge of NZ immigration rules) you don't generally go straight from work visa to permanent residency. What kind of work visa have you got?
    All the best.

My job is on the LTSSL so doing it myself was straightforward. But I would at least meet with a few migration consultants, because that fee does sound high.

Good luck!

Do it yer'self

We're in the process of using a consultant because hubbies job offer is a little complicated and we thought it best as to be honest as I didn't understand half of it. I have to say though I think I have got most of my info of this forum. All consultant has done is asked us for proofs etc and put it all together. Compared to what you have been quoted we paid no where near as much as what they have quoted. We are still in uk though.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Is there any benefit financially that would make it worth paying the consultant to get it done quick and hassle free?
    No consultant has any special pull with INZ to get things done, or to short-circuit the process.

Would you like to tell us what your job is, to see if anyone has relevant past experience?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast