Thread: Section 61

Default Section 61

Hi me and my partner have been together for just over 2 years now and he he has a over stayer and i am a New Zealand citizen. We have tried in the past to apply for his visa, under section 61 long story short both times the immigration advisers were a waste of time and did nothing for us but take money from us and not get what was asked, one of them is actually under investigation with the police. So now i am gonna try and do it all by myself as i do not wanna so much money again esspecially when we do not have that kind of money laying around. Well im stuck on writing the letter i don't know where to start and what to say in it, just need some advice on how to start we are not married yet and wont be untill next year June, he has previously been married before i met him but he is now divorced. Please help someone i don't know where to start with this section 61 and what forms i am supposed to use. Was told we can apply for a partnership but i am pretty much at a dead end right now please help.

Hi, I really sympathize with your partner. I was in a similar situation, we applied for a visa and I was a dependent. The application was declined (visas had lapsed) and we were dubbed "unlawful". I submitted a Section 61 application but they declined it after 2 weeks.

I hope there is still hope for him.

First you need to submit a letter stating the scenario (when his visa expired, why he overstayed, why he should be granted a visa). Then what i did was I gave them my application form (visitors visa) with a sponsorship form.

Call INZ. They give great (free) advice!

All the best.