Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikes - can they be brought to NZ?

Default Bikes - can they be brought to NZ?

Apologies if this is a daft question - but is it a)permitted and b) practical to bring a pushbike across to NZ?
    I have a really nice Specialized bike, 16 months old, in practically perfect condition. I'm not sure whether I can bring it with me in our shipping stuff, though.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Yes you can bring bikes. We brought ours and had them pressure cleaned. They need to be very clean. They were inspected this end by MAF (MPI as its now called) with no problems.
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 14th May 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NZ View Post
    Yes you can bring bikes. We brought ours and had them pressure cleaned. They need to be very clean. They were inspected this end by MAF (MPI as its now called) with no problems.
    Thanks Dave - good to know. Did you get them cleaned before you arrived in NZ or once there?

Sorry, more questions: Was that cleaned through high-pressure water, or with pressurised air? I was under the impression high pressure water jets were bad for bikes, which is part of whats making me unsure.

You can clean them with whatever you like. As long as there are no signs of earth or plant matter they will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    You can clean them with whatever you like. As long as there are no signs of earth or plant matter they will be fine.
    Thanks. Thats another job to go on the todo list then!

When you see the price of bikes here you'll be glad you did

I brought five with me (from the US) in January. Didn't really clean them. MAF had them on the list to inspect but barely looked at them. If its a road bike they'll likely not care.

Give it a good scrub, no mud or seeds etc. We brought two from the UK and no-one wanted to look at any of our stuff. They might do though, it seems to be random and depend on where you are coming from. Or we were just very lucky.

you sure can bring 'em--expect them to be inspected by MAF. Scrubbed and rinsed mine thoroughly, then applied the soap to it once more so it "smelled' clean. No issues at all.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I will definitely look to bring my bike across then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast