Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bikes - can they be brought to NZ?

You can use water jets on bikes just dont spray the suspension seals or stanctions, or the disk callipers.
    Dont forget to regrease it all before you ride it again.

Will be cleaning up my bikes for shipping in the next few weeks, not a job I'm looking forward to, some of them have never seen a sponge in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by UKNZ View Post
    Will be cleaning up my bikes for shipping in the next few weeks, not a job I'm looking forward to, some of them have never seen a sponge in their lives.
    Toothbrush and Fairy Liquid got ours clean - they were previously filthy! They were inspected, and they passed

Well....I'm in the middle of cleaning up my bike. The frame, pedals, gear cogs, posts, everything else are all clear of mud and cleaner than they've ever been (toothbrush was a good tip) but the tyres are doing my head in. I've scrubbed with big sponge, scraped out obvious dirt with toothbrush and cotton buds, and have actually soaked them in the bath a few times now - but STILL they have a brown dusty mark coming back up on the threads.

Any ideas how I can actually get them clean?!

I wouldn't bother. It seems like you've done enough. I didn't really clean my bikes at all (gave them a quick brush). We brought five and they briefly looked at the couple of mountain bikes and moved on. Worst case, you can tell them the effort you put it, and if they're not happy they'll send them out for cleaning. I think they concerned about dirt/grass/seeds etc and shouldn't be worried with a little dust/residue that you're ending up with.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaB View Post
    Well....I'm in the middle of cleaning up my bike. The frame, pedals, gear cogs, posts, everything else are all clear of mud and cleaner than they've ever been (toothbrush was a good tip) but the tyres are doing my head in. I've scrubbed with big sponge, scraped out obvious dirt with toothbrush and cotton buds, and have actually soaked them in the bath a few times now - but STILL they have a brown dusty mark coming back up on the threads.

Any ideas how I can actually get them clean?!
    I don't think it will really matter, since the actual dirt is gone, but if you want your tyres black, try some tyre cleaner from the auto store. Silicone spray can also do a decent job sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaB View Post
    but STILL they have a brown dusty mark coming back up on the threads.
    Ours were exactly the same. No amount of cleaning got rid of the brown marks on the tires but, as I said, they passed the inspection with no oroblems.

Thanks guys. If I can get some tyre cleaner I will, if not I think it's just that annoying residue. No clumps,seeds or mud left!

We brought our Bromptons over with no problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12