Thread: Anyone had PR granted after only 18 months in NZ?

Default Anyone had PR granted after only 18 months in NZ?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has left NZ after 18 months (and completing the 2x6 month Residency condition) and had PR granted while out of the country once you pass 24 months? I seems ok from an INZ point of view but would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience.

Cheers

I am not sure that I have fully understood your question.

I am afraid this will probably not meet the requirements on which PRV will be granted, unless there is solid evidence to prove that s/he is a tax resident. According to INZ. There are usually two ways to apply for a PRV.

1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand
    You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application. You do not have to provide any extra evidence, other than your passport(s).

2. You have tax residence status
    You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 41 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application, and you are assessed by Inland Revenue (IR) as holding tax residence status for the two years preceding your application for a permanent resident visa. You must include evidence of your tax residence status with your application. Acceptable evidence includes:

a statement from IR for the period for which you have been assessed as having tax residence status, or
    the INZ form Confirmation of Tax Resident Status (INZ 1006) completed and endorsed by IR.

Obviously, if anyone has been out of NZ for 18 months and in the mean time does not have any record to prove himself/herself as a tax resident, it is rarely possible to grant him/her the PRV.

Hi

Sorry – probably didn’t explain that very well. So we are thinking about leaving after 18 months to go travelling. We will have met the criteria for having spent enough time here (2x184 days) but won’t actually be in NZ after 2 years has expired and we are able to submit out PR application. My concern is that because we are out of the country that it wouldn’t be granted.

Does that make sense?

In that case, you can still apply for the PRV within three months of the expiry of your RV, even if you are not based in NZ. Another option is that you may apply for a subsequent RV as you will then have met the minimum requirements of inland stay there, which can ensure you can return legally. Please see the following webpage for more details.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Testingthewater View Post
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone has left NZ after 18 months (and completing the 2x6 month Residency condition) and had PR granted while out of the country once you pass 24 months?
    Yes we did. We applied for a permanent resident visa in 2011 via the London branch of INZ while living back in the UK. Just make sure you check and re-check that you meet the eligibility criteria (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm) in accordance with your travel conditions and that you will be able to apply within three months of the expiry of your resident visa.