Thread: Coming to Wellington with a toddler - ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Coming to Wellington with a toddler - ideas?

Hi guys, we're arriving in Welly in mid July all being well. Very excited. Think we've found somewhere to rent in Kelburn. Can anyone recommend good stuff do with a 2and a half year old? Groups, activities, and even good nurseries? It's feeling exciting but also scary at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.
    Many thanks,
    Nicola

We've got a 2.5 yr old and live near Kelburn, in Karori. There are lots of activities you can do. I'd recommend Gymbaroo classes, Wednesday 10am buggy walks on a Wednesday at Zealandia to help you get to know the native wildlife, StoryPlace at Te Papa, as well as Te Papa more generally. Most libraries also do a free music session and recreation centres run classes for young children. Can't advise on nurseries as our daughter goes to one exclusive to public servants, as many of the parliament city-end ones are, but there are plenty around in the suburbs. The vary in price though, and can have very large waiting lists - you need to badger to get a place.

Hi there, I'm from the UK too! There's lots to do in central Wellington, the library has a fantastic children's section, and their story time is 10:30 on Tuesdays and Fridays and Rock and Rhyme is 9:30 on Wednesdays. There's also a lovely playground on Oriental Bay too, I'm hoping to work as a nanny in Wellington so I might even see you there!

I'm also from the UK and my youngest is 2 years and 5 months. She loves Te Papa and the waterfront generally although she scares me to death as she runs headlong towards the sea! Beaches are fab - Makara, Island Bay in Welly and Paraparaumu up the coast are our favourites - lots of interesting stuff gets washed up! Plenty of parks and playgrounds top - the Botanic Gardens are good for little ones to run around and let off steam. I work at Vic so my daughter is in the Uni nursery in Kelburn but we're moving her to St Mary's in Karori where we live soon so all 3 kids are in one place; there seem to be plenty of childcare options but some do have waiting lists as previously mentioned.

And Anne should also be planning a visit to Hawke's Bay soon ....... *waves* hey lovely, it's Ruth!

Are you spying on me Ruth? Mass invasion next summer maybe?

I am your friendly local (ish) stalker! Not really, I'm not cut out to be a stalker, all that hanging round in bushes was getting boring. I was checking on another thread on here and saw your username ..... using my amazing powers of deduction and detective skills I thought it must be you!

If you're on fb, join city wrigglers. An awesome active group that has the latest happenings for young ones. Also, check out mothers network Wellington. A great way to meet mums from yr area. Gd luck!

Kilbirnie recreation centre is great too. They have -Tiny town (a play area with little cars and a bouncy castle),a library, a swimming pool for toddlers and a cafe. A great place to spend a morning.