Thread: Where to live in Auckland? schooling is really important

Default Where to live in Auckland? schooling is really important

Hello folks

I was hoping someone out there might be able to offer some advice.

We're expecting to move out to Auckland before the end of the year, from the UK. Now starts the task of finding somewhere to live!

We have two kids aged 9 and 4 and schooling is really important. Currently, the eldest is at private school, purely because all of the schools nearby are poor. I'm hoping to find somewhere around the Auckland area that will save me the huge cost of private school, but still offer my kids a good education, whilst giving us a good quality of life in a nice community..

I'll be working in city centre Auckland but don't mind a reasonable commute (12 miles into Manchester currently takes me at least an hour by car, so anything around an hour is acceptable).

I'm banking on a house buying budget of up to NZ$400,000, which I'm hoping might get me at least 3 bedrooms (hopefully four?) and a sizeable garden. Ideally, I'd like to be in a community, because my wife won't work, but I want to avoid urban and would prefer suburban or semi-rural.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers

ShakerMike, welcome to the forum.

Have a read of the recent thread on this subject :
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4075

Good Luck with your move

The best bet is to get a rental near your workplace and then decide where to buy.

Singel

Thanks, really useful stuff! At this stage, I'd be looking at getting the kids into school at the start of the new school year (c31 Jan?). Ideally, I'm hoping my employer might help out with some (very) temporary accommodation so that we can find our feet, rent somewhere for up to 6 months and spend that time looking for somewhere to settle (without switching schools too often).

Both threads are really helpful.

So far, we've looked on the South side, but I've read a couple of things that make me cautious of South Auckland. Howick sounds like an option, subject to the commute. We've also looked West of the city and up as far as North Shore - much of it will depend on budget. All of this has been on the internet, so it's great to get some real life info. I've also ordered my copy of "Where to live.....", which seems to get good reviews.

Great forum by the way

Rush hour is pretty bad where ever you live. If you can aviod the motorways it's better.

For a family on your kind of budget, i'd go south or east. Howick would be a good pick

Quote Originally Posted by ShakerMike
    So far, we've looked on the South side, but I've read a couple of things that make me cautious of South Auckland.
    There are some areas in the South which are good such as Dannesmora, The Gardens, Connifer Grove and Wattle Cove (where I live : http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3456)

Foolsgold is right, everywhere you live, the traffic is really bad during rush hour by car.

The city centre of Auckland has a train station called Britomart. Maybe you should look at areas that have train stations. I think this is the best way to commute to the Auckland CBD. Just to give you some idea about commute time by train. The train from my place will take 35 mins one way and during rush hour, the train arrives every 15 mins. It is free parking at the train station so a lot of people take the train to the inner city to work every day.

I have used this fantastic website on Auckland public transport information; which feature bus, train, and ferry details as well as a journey planner : www.rideline.co.nz