Thread: Does an ITA help in finding a job?

Default Does an ITA help in finding a job?

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the very nice information sharing!!! I am considering the idea of moving to NZ with my family and found a lot by reading your posts!!!

There is still a point that is not clear to me, regarding the Skilled Migrant VISA. If you already have a job offer that raises your points everything's easier: good. But, if you have not a job offer yet, but your EOI has been positively evaluated and you have received an ITA -> is this relevant for a typical employer when you send an application?

I have read that often overseas applications are dropped automatically, but I was wondering if the chances of finding a job (in the skilled area, of course) increase if one is positively undergoing the Skilled Migrant VISA process or...if it's just a way to obtain the Resident VISA once one has already found a job.

In other words: since the Skilled Migrant process looks somehow complicated, I would like to know if in your opinion it's worth to start it before having a job, with the scope of increasing the chance of finding a job in the chosen ("skilled") area.

Thanks for any possible suggestion!

But, if you have not a job offer yet, but your EOI has been positively evaluated and you have received an ITA -> is this relevant for a typical employer when you send an application?

I have read that often overseas applications are dropped automatically, but I was wondering if the chances of finding a job (in the skilled area, of course) increase if one is positively undergoing the Skilled Migrant VISA process..
    Puzzle - what is a TYPICAL employer, and does such a thing exist?!

It is probably fair to say that for SOME employers, the fact that an applicant has started the process of applying for a visa shows that they are serious about making the move - they've put time, money and effort into the idea. Other employers don't really know much about INZ and what a migrant has to do, so telling them, 'I have my ITA,' wouldn't mean anything, or make a difference.

Nothing is certain in this situation, but here's an old post which may be of help and interest. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952

Another thing that occurs to me is, how many points do you think you would have on your EOI? This could make a difference. Do you know that have enough to have any chance of selection without getting a job offer?

Hi, thanks for the answer and the link.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Puzzle - what is a TYPICAL employer, and does such a thing exist?!
    Yes, it's a bit reductive, but, at the same time, why not...in Italy, 60 millions of people and a great variety of cultures between North and South: I can tell for sure that even a very skilled engineer wouldn't find a job from outside Europe, without living here. And, in fact (and sadly) the skilled immigrants are very few (even from other European countries), and the few that I personally know (2 Europeans, 1 American) are ALL married to an italian.
    I guess a sort of similar speculation could be done about New Zealand. Somehow, by telling me that SOME employers care about the VISA process (in Italy they don't, at all) you are also answering my question: it is possible (not certain) that the VISA increase the chance of a job offer.

Regarding the EOI, it would be done by my husband (environmental engineer, 11 years of experience, 42 years old, very good english) + I have a PhD and a post-degree master in Informatics for the Humanities...from the online points evaluator, and following the manual, a score of 160 comes out. Anyhow, my husband took the TOEFL 7 years ago (too much, and the TOEFL would not be a valid english proof anyway) hence he should take the IELST as required (190 Euro...) and that still would be the easy part.

How many points on the EOI would be considered interesting for an employer (one that would be interested in the VISA process ) ?

How many points on the EOI would be considered interesting for an employer (one that would be interested in the VISA process ) ?
    I don't think this question would arise for ANY employer, unless one that had himself arrived as a migrant, and then only as a matter of showing polite fellow feeling. If you can tell someone that your application has been selected and is being processed, and they're reassured that they're not wasting their time speaking to you, that's the best it will get. Your EOI needs to have a minimum of 140 points to be selected at the next draw without a job offer. In practical terms, there's no advantage to having higher numbers past that threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your EOI needs to have a minimum of 140 points to be selected at the next draw without a job offer. In practical terms, there's no advantage to having higher numbers past that threshold.
    Ok, I thought that when you've written:

how many points do you think you would have on your EOI? This could make a difference.
    you meant from an employer's point of view. I was aware of the 140 points threshold, although I am also aware that the points tester is not perfect and the result could be different by the real points that will be assigned to the EOI...so, we'll see :-)

Thanks so far

Interesting question--I'm curious what others have done in your circumstances.

But know that it can be many months between submitting an ITA and getting approved, I wouldn't expect someone applying from offshore would be able to start work relatively quickly. However if someone's ITA was "approved in principle"--which means it's in the final stages of processing--I would assume they are able to come and work for me.

Good luck!

most jobs require your availability for face to face interview and have valid visa to work (either work or residence visa)

it may be worth coming to NZ on Visitor Visa and try your possibility and this will show employer your commitment to migrate and if you are lucky and your work experience is hard to find locally you may have chances to get offer and this will speed up application timelines.