Thread: Quick partnership visa question

Default Quick partnership visa question

Hello,

I'm sure one of you very knowledgable folk will be able to help me here as I can't find the information on INZ's website.

My partner is a Kiwi citizen and we're currently preparing to jump through all the hoops for her to sponsor me us to travel to and live in NZ, although we haven't quite decided whether to apply for a residence visa or a work visa (we do meet the requirements for the residence visa but the cost of it puts us off at the moment). Anyway, my question is, assuming the application was approved, what is the length of time we'd have to enter NZ by? Is it a year from the date of visa issue?

Thank you very much

One other question, I understand that if we go for the Residence visa then we both need to provide Police certificates which isn't a problem. I have already spent 3 years in NZ, will INZ carry out the NZ police check on my behalf as it doesn't appear that NZ police issue certificates?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ87 View Post
    One other question, I understand that if we go for the Residence visa then we both need to provide Police certificates which isn't a problem. I have already spent 3 years in NZ, will INZ carry out the NZ police check on my behalf as it doesn't appear that NZ police issue certificates?

Thanks again!
    You're right on that one. It says here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...cecertificate/
    (If you have lived in New Zealand for 12 months or more, Immigration New Zealand will obtain the New Zealand police certificate directly.)
    I can't see anything on the website or in the operational manual to tell you how long you have to travel once you get either on of the visas. I suggest you contact INZ and ask them. Then please let us know!

Hi there,

You have 6 months to enter NZ from date of issue for a partnership work visa. Got one myself.

Fora residence under partnership visa they will allow 1 year from date of issue before it expires. I have read this somewhere either the ops manual or their website. Unable to search now as am at work but if you wish I can look it up for you later.

Just a thought.... I don't suppose you have lived together outside of NZ for 5 years or longer? If so, you can go straight to Permanent Residence and your visa is indefinite i.e. no time limit on when you first need to "activate" the visa. Cheers. Karen

Hi Karen, Luv2fly & JandM,

Thank you again for all of your assistance, much appreciated. I couldn't/still can't find the information for the Work Visa online (thanks though Luv2Fly) but I've just managed to find the Residence entry information in INZ's Knowledge Base.

No, we've been together for nearly 4 years and living together for about 2.5 so the PR would be beyond us just now. We were going to apply for the Work Visa as it was considerably cheaper and finalised quicker however I think we're going to just go for it with the Residence permit and save doing this all again 2 years down the line. X-ray on Monday and Medical the following week....nervously excited!! Thanks everyone again!

Good luck! I am sure you will get te visa