Thread: Reg: Food Items

Question Reg: Food Items

Hi All,

I need small information regarding bringing food items (like rice, gram (dal), ready made chapatis/parathas, oil, and Pickles) to NZ.

Are all these food items are allowed to bring to NZ?

Regards,
    Raju

You can check here http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare exactly what the regulations are about all items of food you are thinking of bringing. If it's not clear, ask INZ biosecurity for details - don't rely only information from any of us, or a friend or family member. It is taken VERY seriously. Declare everything at the airport, even if you think it is all right, then you won't get a fine, even if something turns out to be prohibited.

Hi JandM,

Thank you very much for the information.

Regards,
    Raju

Hi Raju

All of these are easily available, as such processed products are allowed but any raw seeds are not.

But you need to declare them and this will take some time with customs once you land in NZ (before you leave the airport). I preferred to not bring them as they are easily available.

If you let us know which city you will be coming to, I can let you know where to go.
    Last edited by nativecolo; 18th May 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: clarification

As JandM mentioned, check out the list and that's updated regularly.. Apart from that, it's better to keep a list food/groceries that you pack in your bag and if possible keep it one bag so that you don't need to open all the bags at customs check.. You can handover the list and advise the right bag.. it'll e very quick... As long as you mention, you are safe... worst case scenario, they will quarantine the item if something is objectionable and that's in your list...

Where are you heading to by the way? AKL or Wellington...!!! In both places, you get all these groceries like rice, grains, nuts and ready made chapatis are available in most of the supermarkets... Let me know which place you are heading to, I might be able to share the Indian/asian grocery shop addresses...