Thread: Job Offer for casual employment & Residency application

Default Job Offer for casual employment & Residency application

Hi!

Having spent the last 2 days browsing through the maze that is the immigration website , I thought I'd call for a little help on the forums as well.

To make a long story short, here is a brief summary:

- Currently under a visitor visa
    - Got a job offer connected with a casual employment contract (cannot get a permanent contract straightaway due to company policy)
    - The job is neither classified as skilled nor on any of the published Essential Skills lists
    - The company is willing to help with the sponsorship paperwork (INZ 1015 and INZ 1113) and is not part of the accredited
    employers' list.

Now my questions for you are:
    - Can I run in parallel to the work visa application, an Expression Of Interest or must the job occupation be of the skilled category?
    - Can I run in parallel to the work visa application, a Work to Residence application?
    - Due to the unpredictable nature of the contract (casual), does the work visa, if granted, stop at the moment the company notifies that your services are no longer required?

Thanks for your assistance, have a great weekend
    Last edited by Bizjets; 18th May 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Hi. It might be tricky to get Work Visa based on a job that is neither skilled and only on casual basis. Forgive me asking but how old are you and what is your nationality? I am think there might be a way out through the Working Holiday Scheme while you apply for residence. However, points for an unskilled, casual job probably won't help with residence either. However, it could get you some work and that might lead to an offer of a permanent skilled job???? Cheers. Karen

- Can I run in parallel to the work visa application, an Expression Of Interest or must the job occupation be of the skilled category?
    You have to have provable skills to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category (that is, by putting in an EOI). If you have skilled qualifications, you could apply under SMC, but holding an unskilled job in NZ would not count for any points towards your application.

- Can I run in parallel to the work visa application, a Work to Residence application?
    No. WTR visas are only available for either those with an offer from an accredited employer, or those whose job offer is for one of the listed skilled jobs, and they have the required qualifications and work experience for it. See the various sections here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/34536.htm

- Due to the unpredictable nature of the contract (casual), does the work visa, if granted, stop at the moment the company notifies that your services are no longer required?
    As you'll see from this http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/44066.htm, any visa issued ONLY relates to a particular job, and there are strict requirements about the nature of the contract before there is any chance a visa will be granted. Also, there will be a strict labour market test to make sure the foreign worker would not being taking a job that could be done by a NZ citizen or resident. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45981.htm

So in short, yes - no job, no visa.

Thank you both Karen & JandM for taking the time to reply.

Karen, I am German by nationality and already used the NZ WHV scheme in the past. The company said that they will happily assist with the procedure leading to a work visa, and it is possible to apply in the future for a permanent position should opportunities arise.

JandM, I appreciate you giving me the official references. I do have a NZ skilled qualification (Level 1 under the ANZSCO) but sadly the job offered is not fully connected to it, and I am currently unable to find work compatible with my level of qualifications. I was hoping that I could use the same job offer letter to not only get a work visa but also get enough points to complete an online EOI ...but no

My long term plan, like most of us on the forums, is to settle down in NZ. Is there possibly any other route that could be available to "increase the value" of a casual work job offer?

Cheers!

I can't see any way to do it with this offer, unless your employer could be persuaded to include some more specialized responsibilities in the package. You may have to resign yourself to regarding this just as FIRST step, a foot in the door that will let you at least stay, have a more leisurely look around, and get your face known by people in your industry.

Over time, at least if you're in place on your first temporary visa, you'll have the chance to know about and apply for better opportunities, either with this same employer or with others you'll learn about while with his business.

And I would never suggest it as only a means to an end, but remember, IF by chance you formed a relationship with someone in NZ, they might be able to sponsor you for a visa under the partnership scheme. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm

Hi,
    I have had an interview with a NZ company and received an email from them interested in my skills. Their feedback was strong and said would progress with me but I should wait until some preparations. Firstly, I was wondering what is the meaning of job offer and secondly, if it is worth as job offer and would affect my application? I am still waiting for interview with my case officer.
    Thanks a lot.

For INZ to take any notice, a job offer needs to be a formal letter offering you a position, and including the contract with all the small print. (I imagine you already know that the job must be skilled, in the skill you are proving in your ITA.)

If your CO calls you for interview before you have heard back from this firm, you can at least make sure s/he knows about the interest shown in you so far - that will help show that you are employable.

But here's hoping you get your proper offer soon, as that will speed things up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    For INZ to take any notice, a job offer needs to be a formal letter offering you a position, and including the contract with all the small print. (I imagine you already know that the job must be skilled, in the skill you are proving in your ITA.)

If your CO calls you for interview before you have heard back from this firm, you can at least make sure s/he knows about the interest shown in you so far - that will help show that you are employable.

But here's hoping you get your proper offer soon, as that will speed things up for you.
    Thank you very much dear JandM.