Thread: Partneship - based, many questions ...

Default Partneship - based, many questions ...

Hey everyone,
    First off , just signed up this forum is super interesting, and its great that so many of you all are out there to help others, like me, in need so thanks for that
    I have been reading through this forum for quite some time now but couldnt find a similiar case to mine so it would be really nice to get some advice.

I am currently holding an open work visa ( 1 year ) , and going to new zealand in a month , to join my girlfriend ( kiwi ) that i met while she was here in germany for holidays, and have been writing with her ever since, now decided i want to give it a shot and come to new zealand to try "us" out

Now to my problem, she is in uni and living with her parents in auckland.
    Now we dont want to rush things and move in with eachother right from the start, So I want to get my place, and she is going to stay with her parents, so just be in a normal relationship first without that living together, and go from there.

My question is that, how would I go about applying for lets say a residence visa or a partnership based work visa, since both require to be living together right ? or am i seeing it wrong?
    Would we have to live together at one point or is it enough if we can produce enough evidence of us, with pictures, messages, places we went together, letters from her parents and from friends that can verify our relationship ..

Its just a bit confusing and it would be so nice if one of you could clear things up.
    Thanks in advance, and see yall in NZ, cheeers !

Partnership, as far as INZ is concerned, consists of a provable, live-in relationship. All the other things you mention are not relevant, unless and until a couple live together. (INZ check up very carefully on partnership applications, because there is the least to prove for those visas, and there are many people who pay to get a NZer to lie for them to get them into the country. Since it's impossible to investigate people's feelings, INZ don't even try - it would be like trying to judge who can write the best story. Instead, they rely on the hard facts of living together and having shared responsibilities and reliance, for which there can be evidence.) You are not going to be able to count any time when you are living separately towards your partnership proof.

In order to get Residence based on partnership, you would need 12 months' evidence of living together. See here http://www.google.co.uk/#output=sear...iw=818&bih=519 for many old threads about the nature of evidence people have used. Therefore, even assuming that all goes well for you as a couple and you decide to proceed to move in together, you are not going to be able to apply for Residence straight away, within the length of your present visa.

For a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, although the regulations don't mention a particular length of time, in practice, from other people's stories shared on the threads, it seems that around three months' partnership proof is the minimum time that INZ immediately take seriously - there have been people whose first application was sooner, who eventually succeeded, but there were many more questions and complications.

I entirely respect your wish not to rush things and to let the relationship develop at its own pace. But practically, there is going to be a balance to find if you decide to go ahead. The factors to consider are the certainty of both of you that you want to proceed, the need for at least the desirable minimum period of evidence of living together, and the time it will take for your visa to be processed, which all need to fit in before your present visa runs out.