Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working two jobs - possible?

Default Working two jobs - possible?

Hi all,
    I searched the forum and googled for it but couldn't find another thread or any information that deals with a situation like mine. So here goes.

I am a Computer Programmer employed full-time in Auckland. My client is American and I work to the Eastern Standard Time just so I can coordinate better. My work hours are between 01:00 AM and 10:00 AM local time (or 03:00 AM - 12:00 AM local time during daylight saving). That leaves me free during most part of the day and I am contemplating working another job (full-time or part-time) to bring in some extra $$$. Thing is, my current designation and employer is named on my Work Visa. It goes, "The holder may work as XXX for YYY in Auckland". So, is it even possible for someone on such a work visa to work two jobs? If it is, then how would INZ handle my visa and what kind of a request/application am I required to submit?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    awinash

I've never seen this question come up before. In your place, I would contact INZ directly. There's no harm in asking. Your present visa doesn't cover you for an extra job.

Thank you JandM. I hope to find an answer soon. I'll get in touch with INZ and shall update.

Though, it is quite surprising no one ever discussed working multiple jobs. I hope it isn't too uncommon!

Cheers!

Apart from INZ, please check your employment contract. Usually, another 'gainful employment' is not allowed.

Thank you for the pointer. I'll ensure that as well.

Do you not sleep?

I just got off the phone with INZ. I was advised to submit an application for Variation of Conditions that include information about a second employer along with a cover letter that mentions that the second employment is part-time. Accordingly, a visa would be re-issued that lists both the employers with one as full-time and the other as part-time.

So, working two jobs is possible!

@girlwithanewf: I am actually eyeing an overall 12 - 14 hrs of work per day.

I'm very pleased for you, that there's a way to get what you want.

you may have to check with IRD and make sure you pay the right tax and choose right tax code and make sure they wont charge more for the second job.

it may be worth asking extra shift from current job compared to work two jobs and pay more tax...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast