Thread: Quitting Uni - Can I stay?

Default Quitting Uni - Can I stay?

Hey everyone, first time posting here but have always found the threads and comments to be extremely helpful so thanks for what I've read and in advance for what you might write.

Anyhow, my partner and I came here in Feb so I could begin a masters degree. I'm on a student visa and my partner has a work visa through my student visa (no listed conditions). Things are not working out at Uni so I'm going to leave my masters degree program. Long story but, it all boils down to dollars and cents (this degree really isn't worth the exorbitant fees I'm paying).

My semester ends in July but we really want to stay! I'm currently looking for jobs (have a marketing management background). If I receive a job offer, I know I can apply for 1) Work Visa (if the employer is accredited) or 2) Skilled Migrant (I did the points assessment and, if I have a job offer, we would have 170+ points).

Question is this. If I receive my job offer in the next few weeks, submit an EOI, and try to go the Skilled Migrant category will INZ issue me a temporary work permit whilst they review my application?

Thanks guys, just trying to see how we can stay, work, and be a part of society here!

Question is this. If I receive my job offer in the next few weeks, submit an EOI, and try to go the Skilled Migrant category will INZ issue me a temporary work permit whilst they review my application?
    People who have applied for Residence under the SMC are NOT eligible for interim visas. Those are only issued to those who were on some kind of temporary visa, and have applied for another temporary visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/interim.htm

However, if you had applied for a temporary work visa and time ran out, you could be given an interim visa.

As it says here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rimvisafaq.htm, if you had applied for both Residence AND a work visa, the interim visa could be granted.