Thread: WTR or JSV and working for a foreign company. Is it possible?

Question WTR or JSV and working for a foreign company. Is it possible?

Hi all,

I am living in Auckland and searching for a proper job in order to convert my WTR visa to Residency.
    I may have chance to get a job offer from a large American company located in the USA to work for them from NZ in IT area. Type of job is skilled and could be permanent.
    I want to know if working for a non-NZ company but inside NZ is acceptable for INZ to approve my WTR visa to residency application.

Is there any similar experience? Any idea or comment will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by mehara; 22nd May 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Hi. I am assuming that you are on a SMC Job Search Visa at present (there are quite a few categories in WTR). If you have "an offer of skilled employment in NZ" that is full-time (more than 30 hours a week) and permanent, this should be fine. If the work is skilled and you are working in NZ, albeit for an American company I can see no reason why this would not be acceptable. See the INZ Ops manual SM7.10.1. However, I am not 100% sure, so if I were you, I would send an email to my Case Officer or call into one of the INZ branches in INZ and ask them directly. Good luck! Karen