Thread: Moving to New Zealand. Where do you start?????!!!!

Default Moving to New Zealand. Where do you start?????!!!!

Living in England. Work as a paediatric nurse. In love with the idea of coming to New Zealand. My husband a civil servant working in overseas pensions. We don't earn a great deal in England and would not expect to be any better off in NZ. We have 3 children (boys ages 3-10) and want to move for better outdoor lifestyle. Just want a change of scenery!!!
    My husband has had some health issues but unlikely to be a problem again.
    If I was really serious about coming, just don't know where to start with one thing and another. We're tempted to use an agent to help us along the way but its money we can't afford.
    Even to put forward an EOI would costs a few pennies as will have to register with New Zealand nursing council. Also will have to do the IELTs test which fills me with dread!!! Haven't been in exam conditions for a number of years.
    The whole process completely terrifies me!!!!
    Think I may just be living in a little dream world!!!
    Some advice from people who have already relocated would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

I would start by asking yourself why you want to move to NZ. The whole process is very expensive. If you don't like it here, will you be stuck? Will you regret the cost of the whole process or will you be able to look at it as an interesting life experience?
    The other thing is I would look into your husband's health problems and see if he will be able to pass the medical or if there are other people that migrated who had same issues as he did. That'll help you know if it's worth the risk of the expense before you start the process.
    Good luck to you!

Having already relocated once we feel we know what things are important to us to look for in our new home, so after lots of book, internet and friend research we decided NZ was the place for us. We made lists and charts as to what was good about NZ and France and how the future might pan out for us in each country.

Though we still had that "are we sure" question, so we decided to visit NZ for a holiday. Yes, it could be seen as expensive (but we'd not had a big holiday for years so we were due and we've no kids) but it really was money well spent. OK, it was a holiday and we will face other problems living there but we already feel like we know more about NZ than we ever did about France!

Research and research!
    You don't need to bother with an agent, there's great help on here for when the immigration ou NZQA site don't seem clear.

Good luck

It's expensive, but I strongly encourage at least one of you to visit before you relocate here. I love NZ, but it's a significant shift from the UK (or Canada or the States or...).

If you have not already done so, start by filling in the points calculator on the NZ immigration site to see if you will have enough points.

We moved here from the UK and are very happy here, we were happy in the UK too as well. For us it has not been a significant shift at all. I would strongly advise you to consider however the fact that if you are not earning too much, and even if you are, going back to the UK and travel outside New Zealand in general with 3 children will be a seriously major expense. As will be the cost of relocating in the first place.
    As mentioned above I would do some serious research myself in the first place about your eligibility and medical conditions before handing over any money to an immigration advisor.
    It is possible to emigrate here without ever being here and without jobs, there are people on this forum who have done exactly done. From our point of view, I hadn't been here, but my husband had for interviews. We wouldn't have come here without employment lined up and without one of us having been here, but as I said, people have done that successfully.
    All the best with your plans.

All good advice, do the points calculation first and also no need for an agent , you'll be fine. if you need any help with the nursing regs, drop us a pm and we'll help. need to do 5 posts before the pm facility kicks in.

I am an ED nurse, trained in the UK and moved after 20 years from the USA with my hubby and kids 4 and 6. We have no regrets at all. The nursing reg process is lengthy but not too bad. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry if so short but actually on holiday in UK at present.